Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataset and Table details when automating Power BI refresh for Excel on SharePoint Online Site.

Hi Community,

I was able to automate my Power BI Dataset and Reports successfully by following this link https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/refresh-your-power-bi-dataset-using-microsoft-flow/. The moment my business user modifies/uploads a "Specific Named Excel.xlsx file into a folder (which only he/she has access to) on SharePoint Online Site, the corresponding Power BI Dataset and Report Refresh successfully. Thanks to Nikhil Gaekwad.

However, I am still curious as to why Power Automate has suggested to follow the below path (per screenshots), which is a hurdle that I couldnt' pass through.

What is the Dataset ID (I referred to this link https://www.cathrinewilhelmsen.net/2019/02/07/how-to-find-dataset-id-power-bi/, thanks to Cathrine Wilhelmsen) and Table name (I tried to use the table names from Power Query, again, there are more than 1 tables!) that should be populated in Power BI Dataset section in this Flow and why is Microsoft Power Automate having a step in the middle which asks me for OneDrive details whereas my Excel.xlsx file is on SharePonit Online...!!

2020-05-05_11-35-37.jpg2020-05-05_11-43-43.jpg2020-05-05_11-44-15.jpg2020-05-05_11-53-38.jpg

Did anyone got this thing working for you? Can you please share some screenshots so I know for sure!

Thanks in advance, C

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Anonymous ,

i assume that it only works with "Push dataset".

Real-time streaming in Power BI

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-real-time-streaming

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

as @mwegener thought, the Flow connector Add rows to a Power BI dataset can only be used with streaming datasets created in the service, as I used here in my post on using Forms, Flow and a Power BI Streaming dataset for example.

You can either use a Push dataset or a Streaming dataset, both from the documentation Marc already shared.

For that, you'll need to select the API dataset when creating a new streaming dataset in the service.

nickyvv_0-1593081069143.png

In the next screen, if you leave Historic data analysis to Off, you will have a streaming dataset. This will store your data into a temporary cache, which quickly expires

If you check it to On, it will be a push dataset, with the data being available until you clear the dataset.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

EStieg
Employee
Employee

Hi giftedbrain,

Thank you for posting your question and detailed explanation!  I've asked a few of our resident experts to take a look and respond if they feel they can help resolve your problem!

Thank you for posting and have a great day!

Eric

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors