cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataset and Table details when automating Power BI refresh for Excel on SharePoint Online Site.

Hi Community,

I was able to automate my Power BI Dataset and Reports successfully by following this link https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/refresh-your-power-bi-dataset-using-microsoft-flow/. The moment my business user modifies/uploads a "Specific Named Excel.xlsx file into a folder (which only he/she has access to) on SharePoint Online Site, the corresponding Power BI Dataset and Report Refresh successfully. Thanks to Nikhil Gaekwad.

However, I am still curious as to why Power Automate has suggested to follow the below path (per screenshots), which is a hurdle that I couldnt' pass through.

What is the Dataset ID (I referred to this link https://www.cathrinewilhelmsen.net/2019/02/07/how-to-find-dataset-id-power-bi/, thanks to Cathrine Wilhelmsen) and Table name (I tried to use the table names from Power Query, again, there are more than 1 tables!) that should be populated in Power BI Dataset section in this Flow and why is Microsoft Power Automate having a step in the middle which asks me for OneDrive details whereas my Excel.xlsx file is on SharePonit Online...!!

2020-05-05_11-35-37.jpg2020-05-05_11-43-43.jpg2020-05-05_11-44-15.jpg2020-05-05_11-53-38.jpg

Did anyone got this thing working for you? Can you please share some screenshots so I know for sure!

Thanks in advance, C

3 REPLIES 3
mwegener
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Anonymous ,

i assume that it only works with "Push dataset".

Real-time streaming in Power BI

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-real-time-streaming

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener work at KUMAVISION AG , one of the world's largest
implementation partners for Microsoft Dynamics. #
"Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website

Hi @Anonymous,

as @mwegener thought, the Flow connector Add rows to a Power BI dataset can only be used with streaming datasets created in the service, as I used here in my post on using Forms, Flow and a Power BI Streaming dataset for example.

You can either use a Push dataset or a Streaming dataset, both from the documentation Marc already shared.

For that, you'll need to select the API dataset when creating a new streaming dataset in the service.

nickyvv_0-1593081069143.png

In the next screen, if you leave Historic data analysis to Off, you will have a streaming dataset. This will store your data into a temporary cache, which quickly expires

If you check it to On, it will be a push dataset, with the data being available until you clear the dataset.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

EStieg
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi giftedbrain,

Thank you for posting your question and detailed explanation!  I've asked a few of our resident experts to take a look and respond if they feel they can help resolve your problem!

Thank you for posting and have a great day!

Eric

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are You Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

Top Solution Authors