Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Connecting Power VA with Power BI

Hey -- new here, thanks for your welcome and assistance, 

I have a powerBI report showing a simple analysis of some ticket sales and I'd like to build a PVA experience to allow folks to access the data. example: "how many sales for [x] event?" in pva, interrogates powerBI and returns the result.

Trouble is, I have no idea if this is possible! It might be that my imagination is much stronger than my capabilities/knowledge. All I can see in PVA is the ability to run a PowerAutomate ... and I can't see a way in PAuto to pull data so I'm at a loss to know how to proceed ... *IF* I can proceed. 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

hi @digitaljonathan ,

Now, I got it!

Deploy PVA in Power BI: Not quite the right solution --- I need PVA to *interrogate* a powerBI report. The PVA needs to sit in Teams in fact.
No, it's not possible to PVA interrogates a Power BI report.

Create your idea herehttps://aka.ms/pva/community/ideas

Add actions to PVA: There isn't an action/flow/PAuto that I can create to get data from PowerBI report I don't think? Let me know if I've misunderstood.
No, Power Automate it's available only to get data from other data sources.

Power BI - Connectors | Microsoft Docs

Connect PAuto with PowerBI data: Yes, this one looks promising. That's the route I need I think. 

You need to store your data inside a SharePoint database or SQL Server or something like that to allow your Power Autoamte search and filter data from those databases and return it back to your chatbot (PVA).

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hey Renato -- thanks for getting back to me. 

Your answers are excellent, but aren't quite what I need:

Deploy PVA in Power BI: Not quite the right solution --- I need PVA to *interrogate* a powerBI report. The PVA needs to sit in Teams in fact.

Add actions to PVA: There isn't an action/flow/PAuto that I can create to get data from PowerBI report I don't think? Let me know if I've misunderstood.

Connect PAuto with PowerBI data: Yes, this one looks promising. That's the route I need I think. 

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @digitaljonathan ,

You can do a logic between PVA and Power BI using Power Automate workflows.

Deploy PVA in Power BI

Integrate Power Virtual Agents Chat Bot With Power BI Dashboard - Part Six (c-sharpcorner.com)

Connect PVA with Power Automate

(4) Add actions using Power Automate to a Power Virtual Agents bot - YouTube

Connect Power Automate with Power BI data

If you are using SharePoint, use the SharePoint connectors inside your workflow, to get the data. The same if you are using Excel, CDS (Dataverse), and much more.

You will need to structure your workflow to understand which action do you want, like "I want to see the events" (recognizing). You can implement LUIS (AI) to recognize it and return it to your Power Automate, or you can use Switch action inside Power Automate to set manually all options.

Maybe you will need some Pro-developer knowledge.

Feel free to reply this topic if you have any questions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors