Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Momme
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connect Excel Desktop to Power BI dataset

hello all,

I am using an Excel with a Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise license. 

Microsoft® Excel® für Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2203 Build 16.0.15028.20178) 64 Bit

I am also using a Power BI Pro license.

After enabling connected experiences and installing all the rest: Power Pivot etc. and all the three-letter connectivity apps.

What I didnt do is: switch on any MS-Office Insider services.

When I choose 'Analyze in Excel' from the dataset, I get an excel without any live data connections, in Excel the option 'connect to Power BI dataset' is missing.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of issue or know what the problem could be?

thanks a lot in advance!

Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

okay, this has been solved by my administrators. It turned out, that my Excel account was not activated and therefore could not connect to the Power BI workspace of my company.

thanks anyway for your interest and time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Momme
Advocate I
Advocate I

My admin enlisted me to the Insider Builds subscription now - still no success.

Are there any details missing in my description to maybe find a solution to this problem @v-yingjl, any ideas what could be done? 

Momme
Advocate I
Advocate I

@dhorrall this is not related, I am afraid. I don't even have the option to connect to a Power BI dataset. 

dhorrall
Helper I
Helper I

I am having a similar issue, but perhaps not exactly the same.  Unitl the last week or so, he has been able to connect Excel to PowerBI Datasets.  But now, we both get this message. (see screenshot)  I had not tried this functionality before, but I get the same error as he does. Not sure if it is a tennent setting somewhere or what is going on.  Do you get the same message?  Maybe the issues are related.

dhorrall_0-1649946207123.png

Here are the steps

1) Open new excel workbook

2) Go to Data Tab

3) Get Data

4) "From Power BI"

5) Then we get the error I posted above.  

okay, this has been solved by my administrators. It turned out, that my Excel account was not activated and therefore could not connect to the Power BI workspace of my company.

thanks anyway for your interest and time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors