Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

awaisse

Automate Power BI dataset refresh when SharePoint List entry is done via PowerApps in Power BI?

Hello,

I created a Power BI Report (my data source is SharePoint List) with integrated PowerApps to edit / copy & edit entries directly to the data source (i.e. the SharePoint List). It works very well, however, I have problem with automating the refresh of the Power BI dataset, as SharePoint Lists are not a DirectQuery / Live connection data source for Power BI.

And definitely I do not want end users to go to the Power BI workspace to refresh the related dataset every time they make an entry to the SharePoint List via the embedded PowerApps.

I explore(d) 3 solutions/options so far:

Option A: I tired to setup the  refresh the Power BI dataset via some formulas in the embedded PowerApps but it didn’t work (using PowerBIIntegration.Refresh() in the embedded PowerApp didn’t work and PowerApp didn’t take formula PowerBI.RefreshDataset(), suggested on YouTube).

Option B: I setup a scheduled refresh of the Power BI dataset but I have maximum 8 refreshes for 24 hours. I have Power BI Pro not Premium.

I consider trying Option C: Creating a PowerAutomate flow to refresh the Power BI dataset upon change in the SharePoint list.

Before doing that Option C ( I need to study how to do that)… does anyone has experience with Power BI dataset refresh with PowerAutomate and will I also have that limitation of 8 refreshes per 24 hours if I do the refresh via PowerAutomate?

Or Ideally…has someone “invented” a quick, almost live Power BI dataset refresh for NON DirectQuery / Live Connection dataset (e.g. SharePoint List)?

Thank you very much in advance for sharing your experience and helping me!

Assya

2 REPLIES 2
Dolfvc
Frequent Visitor

Hi 

I use the "When a file is created or modified in a folder" from SharePoint. I have an issue when a lot of files change at the same time, this create an alert that Power Automate "Throttle" my flow. That is because the update happens a couple of times at the same time. I followed this workaround - Power Automate – Limit Runs to Trigger One at a Time – Flow Alt Delete – Josh Cook [Microsoft MVP].

Dolfvc_0-1652968389991.png

Hi Dolfvc,

thank you very much for your reply. Indeed last night the simple PowerAutomate flow (per this video) I created got throttled.

As this morning I got stuck when setting the Value filed in "Initialize variable" action per your example, I created a flow more or less per the article you shared:

awaisse_1-1653031916616.png

And it got stuck:

awaisse_2-1653031976857.png

It feels like Power Frustrate not like Power Automate  🤣

Any ideas what I can improve to make that working?

Its quite disappointing but so far it seems its much better to trigger manual refresh of the dataset 😟

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors