Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Data structure

Hello,

Firstly apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum, I found the 'locations' quite abstract.

I'm very new to Power BI and love the potential of it. However, I'm struggling to quickly great dashboards that convey what I want to. I think the main issue is in the structure of my data. I'm aware data should be in simple tables as opposed to matrix or pivot style tables but I'm still struggling.

So I guess in this first instance I'm wondering if I could be pointed in the direction of a guide on structuring data (e.g. video, written instructions etc).

To give some context (in case they influence the offered guides) the key dimensions of the data I'm trying to display are:
- data for different projects (e.g. income and expenditure by project)
- data across years (e.g. income nd expenditure across years)
- actual data versus forecast data
- consolidated data (the sum of all projects)
- primary and secondary level data (e.g. total income for a project, plus the different types of income which are added together to get the total income for the project)

Taking into the financial examples above, one thing I'm particularly struggling with is how structure data in terms 'totals'. E.g. do I need to create a totals table or will Power BI do that for me?

Thanks in advance for any help. Really appreciate your time.

Best wishes, Greg

Accepted Solutions
Administrator

Re: Data structure

Power BI will do the totals for you.

Please walk through the free EDX course at http://aka.ms/pbiedx

View solution in original post

All Replies
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

Just to add, I only have access to the office 365 version. Does this have limitations versus the free desktop version?

Really appreciate any help.

Thank you. Greg
Administrator

Power BI will do the totals for you.

Please walk through the free EDX course at http://aka.ms/pbiedx