Power BI Premium

I just got to know about the power bi premium, I read about its functions and values, in your opinion what do you think? Is it something promising? Is the market ready to use premium power?

New Contributor

Re: Power BI Premium

Hi @vitexo87

The way that I have interpreted the changes are as follows for the premium.

• There is a pricing breakpoint for Power BI Premium which will be roughly what it costs for a Pro License X users
    • EG: If the Power BI Pro license is $10 and the base level Premium is $5000 as soon as you have more than 500 users it will be more cost effective to use the Premium.
    • If you have less users then the traditional Pro licensing will be more valuable.
  • With the Premium features you also get dedicated hardware, which then means you get a predictable performance.
  • With Premium you also get the following features
    • You are not licensed per user, but for capacity. So if your users and data sets do not require a lot of compute power, you could potentially have a large userbase on the base level hardware (BUT IT ALL DEPENDS on your workloads and users). So if you have 5000 users with a few Pro licenses 
    • Higher refresh rates
    • 100TB of Storage for each Capacity provisioned
    • Coming features
      • Incremental refresh
      • Large datasets
      • Geographic distribution
      • Pinning datasets into memory
      • Read-Only replicas
      • Dedicated Data Refresh Nodes

You can find more details here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-accelerates-modern-bi-adoption-with-power-bi-prem...

Premium interests me as well.  I'm also noticing that you still seem to need Pro Licenses even with Premium.  Premium seems to cover the non pro users who wish to access collabatoritive content.

For businesses of certain sizes, this will be great.  For small to medium businesses, this won't work at all i fear.

New Contributor

Hi @Ross73312

Yes the Power BI Premium is an Add-On to the Power BI Pro.

So you will still need the Power BI Pro licenses to author, create and potentially distribute all your Power BI data.

Where the Premium comes in is that you can have a fixed cost and leverage it to potentially thousands of users, which will not require any Power BI license due to the fact that they fall under the Premium agreement.

As well as having the capability to leverage the on premise Power BI Report Server.

And you are indeed correct that the small to mid size companies will still have to pay the Pro license for each and every user, which can get expensive for the small to mid size.

Microsoft really needs to consider another Tier of pricing or else they are going to lose a good chunk of their potential market.  I'm actually concerned whether our business will abandon Power BI now, and we have thousands of staff who would eventually be the report consumers.  I'm hoping that Premium might be my get out of jail free card here, but i'm also worried that the large jump in price is seen as too much of a risk.

Those that hold the purse strings like to see a bit of a dabble, see some wins on the board before diving head first into the $$$$ end of the pool.  It would be easy enough to have pitched a 1K premium, but 5K is going to make my life difficult.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi @Ross73312

I totally agree with you as it appears that the middle man is going to loose out again.

The only advice or stratergy that I can think of would be to showcase Power BI to Exec's or people with some sway within a company. By doing it in this manner you will not require excessive licensing, as well as to showcase the potential of the product. Hopefully that gets a few wins as well as then the required funds could be allocated.

At least there still is the Trial offer, which I have known to get extended before, so potentially getting 120 days (roughly 4 months) should also hopefully be enough to prove the justification.

Frequent Visitor

I was a strong advocate of power bi in our organisation and I was waiting for the 'on-premisse' solution.

That solution could only be affordable if you look at the pricetag of pro en free. But I was wrong.

5000 per node / per month. It's something I cannot sell. Very very dissapointing news here.

Frequent Visitor

Premium is potentially a very good solution for big organisations, but I am saddened that the raft of changes will compromise smaller businesses. Why not serve both communities? IMHO the draw of Premium is enough to convince big businesses to invest without weakening the Free alternative option.

Regular Visitor

SQL Server Enterprise Edition per-core customers with active Software Assurance (SA) will also have the rights to deploy Power BI Report Server through SA entitlement.

Regular Visitor

Power BI Report Server is a superset of SQL Server Reporting Services. A Power BI Report Server supports Power BI reports, *plus* all the features of an SSRS report server. So if you have a Power BI Report Server, you don’t necessarily need a separate SSRS report server.