Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arunaramana
Helper III
Helper III

whether to opt PowerBI Pro or PremiumPerUse license for Authoring and or /Uploading paginated report

Hello There,

Could anyone please help me understand whether I need Power BI Pro or Premium per use License to Author and or /upload paginated reports to Power BI Service?

Also, in the licensing and features table (over the link https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/ ), what does the feature 'Paginated (RDL) reports' mean? does it mean, author or posting or both? Please find the attached pdf document for reference.

Thank you for givng your valuable time. PowerBI-Pro&PPU-page-001.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arunaramana ,

First, Paginated reports are based on the RDL report technology in SQL Server Reporting Services(SSRS). File type is .rdl.

file type.jpg

So this is probably the reason why the Paginated report is also called the RDL report.

Second, as the official document said, you need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license to publish a report to the service. And you can publish and share paginated reports in My Workspace or in workspaces, as long as the workspace is in a Power BI Premium capacity.

To my knowledge, in summary:

1. Paginated reports are, essentially, SSRS reports(reports utilizing rdl file format).

2. Pagination report is a specific function supported by Premium.

3. Workspaces which are assigned to Premium capacity are permitted to use paginated reports.

4. You can use pro or premium publish to service but the workspace must be a premium capacity.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arunaramana ,

I mean

Pro or Premium could let you use "Publish" feature. But the workspace you want to publish Paginated reports to must be in Premium capacity.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arunaramana ,

First, Paginated reports are based on the RDL report technology in SQL Server Reporting Services(SSRS). File type is .rdl.

file type.jpg

So this is probably the reason why the Paginated report is also called the RDL report.

Second, as the official document said, you need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license to publish a report to the service. And you can publish and share paginated reports in My Workspace or in workspaces, as long as the workspace is in a Power BI Premium capacity.

To my knowledge, in summary:

1. Paginated reports are, essentially, SSRS reports(reports utilizing rdl file format).

2. Pagination report is a specific function supported by Premium.

3. Workspaces which are assigned to Premium capacity are permitted to use paginated reports.

4. You can use pro or premium publish to service but the workspace must be a premium capacity.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Hello Evelyn,

Thank you for addressing my concern; your information indicates that Power BI Premium Capacity (License) is needed to use the powerBI workspace for publishing. Please correct me if needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors