Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EmetSelch
Frequent Visitor

shared content, external user

Greetings,

I have some questions regarding the sharing of report to external users with the mobile app on iPad. There's no problem with him viewing the report in web view, so access is not a problem in general.

When he opens the invitation (shared link) in his email, he can chose to open it with the app - works fine. But when he logs out of the app and back in again, the report is not visible to him anymore.

What's the right way for him to have easy access to the shared report in the app? The background for the use is this: some agents will need to view the report, but they should, preferably, not know the log in information. If they can access the report with just opening the app, that would be perfect.

I'm very new to the use of the mobile app, so any advice you can give is highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @EmetSelch ,

Unfortunately, external sharing not able to save shared contents, these users can only viewed by click on the shared email links.
If you shared with organizations accounts, they can find shared content in 'shared with me' menu.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @EmetSelch ,

Unfortunately, external sharing not able to save shared contents, these users can only viewed by click on the shared email links.
If you shared with organizations accounts, they can find shared content in 'shared with me' menu.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello, 

I going to face the same access issue as described above in this thread and want to provide our customers with up-to-date information. Therefore, I would like to ask you if you are planning to enable also users from external organizations to access shared content directly via mobile app? If so, when is the implementation estimated?

Thank you very much for any advise!

Hey @Wajsity ,

There is no change in the app in that behavior at this point.

As a solution, people create report in the user's home tenant that holds the link to the report shared from external tenant. That way they don't need to go back to the sharing email for the link.

Can that be a solution for your customers?

Maya

Thank you for your quick reply.

I think it's a good workaround and I will offer it to our customers if they will ask for the option to see reports direct within the app. Hopefully I will be sufficient solution for them.

Wajsity

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Wajsity how did that workaround go over?

I've shared to an external client, and because they aren't getting the best experience with the Power BI Mobile app, they want to get the PBIX file to import into their tenant...

1, that is a lot of work to reshare, and 2, I don't even know if that's possible for them to use our SharePoint Online data...

I've thought about seeing if I can have them set up Safari Home Screen iPad shortcuts because of how silly this is.

Hi @Anonymous 

I didn't implement PBI to external clients yet so I can't tell you how good the workaround is.

We are now rather thinking about embbeding PBI to our current web app which should also solve the problem with external clients. But in that case clients will be probably not using the Mobile app at all.

I doubt that sharing a PBIX files is a good solution because of connection to source data from other tenant as you mentioned - it could work but would require lots setting effort.

I like the idea with a shortcut to the report. When you try it, let know how it worked 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors