Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

moni_dd
Regular Visitor

block change of page on swipe

Hi there,

For multi-page reports - Is there a way to prevent page transition on swipe?

Need:

We have a summary page which is designed for vertical view (phone is vertical).

Very often users perform accelerated scroll (swipe up quite forcefully) to get quickly to the bottom of the table, however this brings them to the last page.

Now they have to scroll back to the first page.

We get lots of complaints re this.

Many thanks for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@moni_dd wrote:

Hi there,

For multi-page reports - Is there a way to prevent page transition on swipe?

Need:

We have a summary page which is designed for vertical view (phone is vertical).

Very often users perform accelerated scroll (swipe up quite forcefully) to get quickly to the bottom of the table, however this brings them to the last page.

Now they have to scroll back to the first page.

We get lots of complaints re this.

Many thanks for your help!

@moni_dd

Are you talking about viewing a report in Power BI Mobile?

Correct.

PowerBI on iPhone

Hi @moni_dd,

Current power bi mobile only support swipe down(swipe up is used to update data), you can go back to main page and reopen the report to navigate to first page.

I think you can vote below ideas which about improve the swipe feature.

Clunky Swipe Down Refresh on Mobile Reports

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

This is incorrect.

The swipe down is used to refresh data. Data refresh is only triggered if you are already at the top of a page. This is good.

The swipe up is when you start pulling info from the bottom.

So what I am talking about is a bug that needs fixing, not a feature that needs explaining.

If you swipe up and eventually get to the bottom of the page (phone is vertical) the app should absolutely not bring you to the next page or in my case last page (it jumps three pages down).

This problem could be fixable in 30 seconds if it is just a matter of commenting out somebody's good intention to provide a page change. It could mean more work if it is in the framework.

One way or the other, this needs fixing, period.

Our first users are also the decision makers on whether or not Power BI is worth the time. I love the product but problems like this totaly ruin the experience for them.

i.e. scroll up - now you are suddenly three pages away ... find your way back and be fearful not to tug on the screen too much. It feels like a fragile mechanical device instead of being software.

So, curious to hear if this is going to get fixed in the next release.

Let's clean things up - If the phone is vertical:

Good:

1. If at the top of a page, swipe down refreshes data.

2. If not at the top of a page, swipe up/down moves the page up/down.

3. Swipe left/right - go to next/previous page.

Horrible:

If at the bottom of a page a swipe up brings you to next/last page.

To the moderator:

Would it be possible to adjust the name of the topic from:

"block change of page on swipe"

to

"block change to next page on swipe-up"

It eliminates ambiguity, as page change on left/right swipe is OK.

Hi @moni_dd,

According to your description, you want an option to config the switch change page feature and enable the left/right swipe to change page, right?
If this is a case, I think they can be summarized to "improve the swipe function of power bi mobile".

In my opinion, if you swipe down it bring you to wrong report or broken the report data, it should be a bug.(I think it is a imperfect swipe function which need to be improved)

In summary, I'd like to recommend you to share the ideal.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi

So to summarize the thread the ask here is to allow reports author to control the side swipe gesture functionality?

Meaning, when authoring a phone report – the report’s author can set if the side swipe will change page or not?

@moni_dd we have tried to reproduce the scenario where scrolling down and up in a portrait phone report and couldn’t reproduce changing pages without side swiping.

Can you please share the exact device model you are using iOS version and PowerBI app version you are using?

Thanks,

Roy Gal

OK ... Let's try one more time and get on the same page about the directions.

Phone is vertical:
Swipe Down and Left/Right are working fine! Not a topic here. Change nothing. Nothing to make optional.

Swipe Up: You move the screen content up by swiping from the bottom of the screen toward the top.

This is the topic of the conversation ...

So, on a screen where there is a table, say 2 screen lengths tall, a user would swipe up thus causing the screen to "hit the bottom of the page" fast. When this happens the app drops to the last report-page.

This is what should be blocked. No need to make it an option.

Details: The page change does not always happen. It seems that the force of the swipe plays a role.

If you swipe-up gently the bottom of the page is reached and there is no page-change. Gentle pushing up only bounces the screen without causing a page change.

However, at this point, you can force a page change by doing a "forceful", "accelerated" swipe up. In our case we have a 3-page report and the page changes from the first to the last page, not to the next page. I did make sure that I do not accidentally swipe a little to the side.

Look around you. Do you see a single person bothering with "gentle", perfectly vertical swipes, especially when they want to get to the bottom of a screen - result - our users always drop to the last report-page and then have to navigate back to the first one.

Phone: iPhone 6

iOS: V.10.2.1

Got it,

I will open a bug for this issue.

Roy Gal

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors