Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tsanka
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Windows app - issue with dashboard tiles with custom links

Hi guys,

When using Windows app I am not able to open reports from dashboard tiles with links to PowerBI reports. The "Reports" option is not visible, only "Annotate" and "Share".

The linked report (actually any url) is opened without any issue from the service (app.powerbi.com).

Is this a behaviour by design or may be I have done something incorrectly? If this is by design, are there any plans for changing it?

Thanks

Tsanka

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi,

Thank you for explaining the issue.

In the Web there is an option to add a link to a Tile. Meaning that clicking on that Tile will open the link you added.

For more information about this option, please click here.

However, our apps currently doesn't support this feature and this is why when you open the Tile using the app, the option to

open the link will not appear (you will be able to Share and Annotate only).

Thank you,

Dana.

View solution in original post

Hi Tsanka,

Just to clarify, the only unsupported capability at this time is opening a URL linked to a tile, which will be added soon and fully supported on all mobile apps.

In the meantime, as long as a tile is linked to a URL it can't be linked to the originating report at the same time, this is why you don't see the "Open Report" option for that tile. If you would remove the URL link that option will surface back.

Again, this is a temporary situation, until the URL linking is fully supported on the mobile apps.

thanks,

Meital

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dana
Employee
Employee

Hi,

There are two ways to create a Tile:

1. Pin a Tile to your dashboard from a report

For more information about creating a Tile from a report, please click here.

2. Using the Q&A tool to create a query and add its result as a Tile to your dashboard.

For more information about Q&A Tiles, please click here

When you are using the first option, there is a report behind the Tile created, and you will be able to see the "Report" option from the app.

When you are using the second option to create the Tile, there is no report behind it since it's a query that is running and searching for the data you requested on your data. In this case, you will not see the option for "Report" on the app since it doesn't exist. You will only be able to "Share" and "Annotate", as you described.

Thank you,

Dana.

Hi Dana,

Thank you for your input. However it does not contain a solution for my case.

All the tiles we are using are created from reports (your option 1, as Q&A engine is not available for my language). Nevertheless, when using Windows app, I cannot open the url from the tile.

Here you can see details about the case:

1) Dashboard with tiles created from reports, custom link set for the tile.

pic_tiles1.png

2) The tile with the custom link as seen in the Windows App (no "Reports" is seen and the url is not open upon tile selection).

pic_tiles2.png

3) The same tile when selected/clicked from within the service, opens the url given in the custom link field.

Best regards

Tsanka

Hi,

Thank you for explaining the issue.

In the Web there is an option to add a link to a Tile. Meaning that clicking on that Tile will open the link you added.

For more information about this option, please click here.

However, our apps currently doesn't support this feature and this is why when you open the Tile using the app, the option to

open the link will not appear (you will be able to Share and Annotate only).

Thank you,

Dana.

Thank you.

So for the moment there is no way one to open a link from a tile from PowerBI apps, regardless of the way the tile is created.

If so, I assume we will not use custom links as most of the business users will consume the PowerBI reports from apps.

Thanks once again

Tsanka

Hi Tsanka,

Just to clarify, the only unsupported capability at this time is opening a URL linked to a tile, which will be added soon and fully supported on all mobile apps.

In the meantime, as long as a tile is linked to a URL it can't be linked to the originating report at the same time, this is why you don't see the "Open Report" option for that tile. If you would remove the URL link that option will surface back.

Again, this is a temporary situation, until the URL linking is fully supported on the mobile apps.

thanks,

Meital

Hi Meital,

Thanks for the clarification. I know that this is a very small issue, but nevertheless I am glad that it will be fixed in the next releases.

Best regards,

Tsanka

PS: We came to this issue by trying to link a tile created from a chart in report page A to report page B (containing a matrix with a lot of columns)

[url=http://blackmartapkz.com/] Black mart app download[/url]

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I see this as well on an Android version of the Power BI app. However, if I use my Windows Surface Power BI App version, I see the reports link.

I'm guess "by design" at this point. Probably in the feature request list, if not you might want to put it in there.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors