Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jonfwill

Windows PowerBi App Error Logging in with ADFS

Does anyone happen to know if I need to make any changes to ADFS to get the windows powerbi app to work?  I click signin, enter my username, i am then redirected to the ADFS site which then just says an error occured.  Looking at the ADFS log I see

MSIS7102: Requested Authentication Method is not supported on the STS.  I can log in fine using the website and the android mobile app.

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
yaronc
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi Jon,

In most cases, ADFS should work with all mobile apps, including the Win app without any special adjustment.

However, there are some cases in specific ADFS configurations that require some adjustments in order for Power BI Win app to work.

In order to investigate this further and assist you with a proper resolution we've escalated this to our engineering team and they will contact you directly for more details.

Thanks,

Yaron

View solution in original post

For similar ADFS issues you can find the following article helpful -

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn727110.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thanks.

jonfwill

The support guys reached out and fixed this on the first email.  My ADFS server didn't have forms authentication enabled on the Intranet.  Steps to enable forms authentication are below.

Open ADFS Console.

Click on Authentication Policies.

Click on Edit Global Primary Authentication.

In the Intranet box tick Forms Auhtentication.

Click OK.

Forms Authentication should now be enabled.

Thanks Power Bi Support for helping me with resolving this.

3 REPLIES 3
jonfwill

The support guys reached out and fixed this on the first email.  My ADFS server didn't have forms authentication enabled on the Intranet.  Steps to enable forms authentication are below.

Open ADFS Console.

Click on Authentication Policies.

Click on Edit Global Primary Authentication.

In the Intranet box tick Forms Auhtentication.

Click OK.

Forms Authentication should now be enabled.

Thanks Power Bi Support for helping me with resolving this.

yaronc
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi Jon,

In most cases, ADFS should work with all mobile apps, including the Win app without any special adjustment.

However, there are some cases in specific ADFS configurations that require some adjustments in order for Power BI Win app to work.

In order to investigate this further and assist you with a proper resolution we've escalated this to our engineering team and they will contact you directly for more details.

Thanks,

Yaron

For similar ADFS issues you can find the following article helpful -

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn727110.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors