Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JenBeck

Will Datazen be integrated w/ Power BI? If so, what is the roadmap and timing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Miljan
Employee
Employee

In the near term Datazen will continue to focus on on-premise scenarios and integrate more deeply with SQL Server in the 2016 release. In the long run we are looking at ways to integrate with Power BI and we'll make the appropriate announcements when that plan solidifies.

Having said that, let me turn this around and ask you (and the rest of Power BI community): are there specific capabilities of Datazen that you would like to see in Power BI? Your input is incredibly valuable to us.

Many thanks,

Miljan.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
saadsal

I would love to see the integration capabilities (deep linking through URI) come into Power Bi

Miljan
Employee
Employee

In the near term Datazen will continue to focus on on-premise scenarios and integrate more deeply with SQL Server in the 2016 release. In the long run we are looking at ways to integrate with Power BI and we'll make the appropriate announcements when that plan solidifies.

Having said that, let me turn this around and ask you (and the rest of Power BI community): are there specific capabilities of Datazen that you would like to see in Power BI? Your input is incredibly valuable to us.

Many thanks,

Miljan.

@Miljan

I would like to have the "comment" capability of Datazen in Power BI Apps, then Service.

More details:

-the person who comment

-the position of this comment on the vizualization

-the edited functionnality of all comment (not just like the one on yammer)

-the "like" comment to express your opinion

---and so far---

-the reply functionnality to that comment

-consult all the history of each edited comment

-and so far, all the emotional status like : angry, sad, ..just like facebook.

Thanks in advance,

Can anyone from the Power BI team please provide an "update" - it is now March 12, 2017?

Thank you ...

I'd like to add that  "ANY characterization of Datazen being ON-PREMISES - versus - Power BI is "IN the Cloud" would simply "MISS" that ALL of our SSRS 2016 - Mobile Report Publisher (Datazen Technology" ...

IS, 100% Azure "VMs" !!!

Isn;t THIS the "Cloud"???

So, perhaps a "more accurate characterization" would be "SSRS 2016 Enterprise BI and BA" - versus - Power BI as it "currently exists"!

Would you agree?

One of the things - to us - having worked with BOTH Power BI and Datazen for well over a year now is the following:

1)  Datazen has an amazing "templating feature" that allows for an incredidibly "productive" RE-USE "functionality"

For example, we can take a "CFO Dashboard" for customer A and "re-use" it for customer, B - Z.  I would guess that within a large Enterprise, this would allow "multiple Division/Businesss Unit dashbaords" = full and/or partial "CLONES" of each other!!!

2) While Power BI allows for "dashboard elemnt re-sizing", Datazen simply takes that to a another level of "parametric design and object modeling" = the "OBJECT, like a clustered bar chart" is FIRST placed - AND THEN - the "paramters are set/adjuested"!  We simply do NOT find Power BI "parametric editing" as EASY to use - but they appear to 180 degress DIFFERENT and highly unlikely of any "convergence"! 

3) Like in a CAD "program", Datazen operates on a "snap-to-grid" system - up to 6 row X 12 columns currently = a LOT of real estate in a 1920 x 1080 pixel screen with "no scrolling".

4) Datazen, because of the "mutiple dashboards and templates" offers a "viewer + a manger + an easy way" of saving either to a local file, saving to the server, or opening an existing dashboard - re-naming it - and modifying the original.

5) We currently have "so many" dahboards that "the Datazen "style THUMBNAIL" = a nearly exact "minature PICTURE" of the full dahboard - just makes it so easy to find and choose versu the Power BI "standard ICON with a name"!

I surely could list several more, but it's Labor day weekend in the US and time for the barbeque!

SUMMARY: Thank you for asking = WE LOVE BOTH "Mobile Reports Publisher" (Datazen Technology - AND - Power BI !!!

It's just "at this stage at least" that SSRS 2016 "looks like an "EXPENSIVE and LUXURY CLASS" Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Tesla, Ferrrairi, Cadillac STS, Lexus, etc.

Power BI just "LOOKS FAR LESS EXPENSIVE" and "therfore DIFFICULT" to achieve the BIG $$$ !!!

Simply look at Power BI "Showcase" and easily SEE HOW "almost everyone" is going through "GREAT EFFORT" too make Power BI "look FAR RICHER"!!!  (YET, you must be a Jedi Master to even consider HOW - on YouTube videos - these "authors" are explaing HOW they did it !!!  We are VERY "technical" and Datazen is simply an EASIER PATH to full HTML5 "mobile dashboards" !!!

It sure would be nice to get an "UPDATE" on this which was "STARTED on May 12, 2016" = NOW, almost 4 MONTHS LATER !!!

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6936728-custom-branding-colour-sc...  

PS  Power BI has "open source visuals and the HUGE D3.js *** KILLER *** "VISUALIZATIONS" + extensive R integration" = a "KILLER" PLUS !!!

... but simply "looks" like an "old technology" compared to Datazen !!!

Thanks for asking = I DO HOPE that you continue to ASK this community !!!

Scott

Datazens date Slicer is fast and easy to use with great visual references. Its easy to setup and will be very hard to improve upon.

Ted

So long as all your measures are additive, the Datazen slicer is wonderful.  Otherwise, not so good.

Adding drilling capabilities into PowerBI  would be of tremendous value.  If this was added, this would solve 90% of my problems/concerns at this point in time.

Yes, Datazen needs to support Fiscal Calendars so that organizations can report on and compare their results using their Company's fiscal days, weeks, periods.  For example; many retail Companies use a 13 accounting periods; often 4 weeks + 4 weeks + 5 weeks = a fiscal quarter.  The Datazen interactivity on a mobile device is the best I have seen; the show stopper for our Company is the lack of support for a fiscal calendar. Please add this to the poduct.  Thank you. K. Scott Gray, CFO Luby's Inc.

FY - form CY - is easily changed under "Settings" - this was an issue for us as well "UNTIL" we discovered this seting.

I would love to see the offline capability of Datazen to be incorporated in Power BI. I heard rumors that something like that was in the pipe.Otherwise I think Datazen is a good tool for those organizations that has not yet taken the leap to the cloud.

Power BI Desktop is a good fit for the off line usecase.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I think that once Power BI has parity with DataZen in terms of robust visualizations, the issue of integrating Power BI and DataZen will go away. DataZen and Power BI is really not so much an integration issue in my opinion as it is SaaS / subscription licensing model vs. on premise / unlimited usage licensing model, which is a great question that we don’t really have a good roadmap answer for yet, at least from what I have seen and can remember.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors