Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

yoshihirok
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

When dose the value update in Power BI Mobile App's Live Tile on Windows 10 Mobile start screen ?

I want to use the live tile to check current dashboard's value in Windows 10 Mobile without open Power BI Mobile app.

For example, I pinned the rest day of free upgrade of Windows 10 to start screen of Windows 10 Mobile as live tile.

and the dataset of the value update 00:30am each day.

The live tile update value each day at Windows 10 / Surface Pro 4.

But the live tile does NOT update the value at Windows 10 Mobile.

My check is:

1. OK .. The value of dashboard of Power BI Mobile app on this Windows 10 Mobile is Today value.

2. NG .. The value of Live Tile of Start screen on this Windows 10 Mobile is not Yesterday value.

This dashboards created by:

1. Create the report by Power BI Desktop.

2. Publish the report to Power BI Service.
3. Schedule the update of the report's dataset to 00:30am each day by Power BI Service.

4. Create the dashboard by Power BI Service.

5. Pin the tile to start screen by Power BI Mobile app on Windows 10 Mobile.

When dose the value of Live Tile of Start screen updates to New value ?

The live tile on Windows 10 Mobile's start screen. 

wp_ss_20160510_0001.png

The report on web:

1.PNG

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Power BI mobile can work on devices with 1GB and above.

In order to have good performance in Power BI we recommend to use devices with at least 2GB memory.

The live tile feature with live data is currently not supported in 1GB device since 1GB devices as very limited amount of memory while running in the background.

We have a code that disable the pin live data on 1GB devices but it seems that it didn’t catch your device and therefore you got this quite broken experience and we are sorry for that.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
yaronc
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi @yoshihirok

The live tile should update in the background once every 2 hours.

It is also updated when the user launch the app or when the user activated the app (when it was in the backgroun) and 30 minutes or more passed from the last refresh.

Can you please check that you didnt disable the offline for Power BI app (Device Settings ->Privacy->Background apps->Power BI).

Also can you please tell what happens if you look on the start screen 2 hours or more after that the dashboard is refreshed?

And also what happens after that you open the app and then minimize it? does it then refresh the live tile?

Thanks,

Yaron

Hi @yaronc, thank you for your reply.

My Check resulut:

NG - Over 8 hours after updating data in Power BI Service, Live tile data is NOT changed.

Enable - Background apps of Power BI.

Update - After Power BI Apps launched, and back to home screen today now, But yesterday, is NOT changed.

My schedule for data update of this live tile.

00:30 am / every day

Today 10:00 am, I check this issue.
1. The live tile data is not changed.

2. Launch Power BI Mobile App.

3. The dashboard tile is changed.

4. Back to home screen.

5. The live tile data is changed after few minutes.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Kawabata

Hi @yoshihirok

Thank you for reporting this issue. According to your test results it looks like the offlince background refresh fails to update the live tile.

Can you please tell which device are you using? the issue reported might be a result of momory usage and I would like to know how many GB RAM you got on your device.

Thanks,

Yaron

Hi, @yaronc.

My device is

MEM = 1 GB.

CPU = MSM8909 Quad core 1.1GHz.

OS = Windows 10 Mobile version 1511, build 10.0.10586.318

Spec - in japanese = KATANA01

This device is low-end cheapest in Japan, 10,000 Yen.

and, Can I ask you how many MEM does need for Power BI Mobile ?
I want to know low-end spec for business usecase.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Kawabata

Power BI mobile can work on devices with 1GB and above.

In order to have good performance in Power BI we recommend to use devices with at least 2GB memory.

The live tile feature with live data is currently not supported in 1GB device since 1GB devices as very limited amount of memory while running in the background.

We have a code that disable the pin live data on 1GB devices but it seems that it didn’t catch your device and therefore you got this quite broken experience and we are sorry for that.

Hi, @yaronc

Today, I start to use Power BI Mobile's on 2 GB memory's Windows 10 Mobile.

1.PNG

Thank you.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Kawabata.

Hi @yoshihirok

Thanks for the update 🙂

Hopefully you will enjoy the Power BI app on your new device.

Thanks,

Yaron

Hi @yaronc.

Good.

From yesterday, Power BI Mobile App's Live Tile  auto refresh works fine on my new Windows 10 Mobile which's memory is 2 GB.

Thank you.

I will share to my friends,

"Power BI Mobile App can build auto refresh Live Tile of the dashboards,

Easy - Just few click,

Cheap - Free Power BI Service, plus Cheap Windows 10 Mobile memory 2 GB
 Quick - check key value without launch App.".

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

@yoshihirok @yaronc

Hi, sorry to take up the subject again once it was terminated, but I am very much in need of help, my panels are not having their data updated automatically, this is occurring either in the desktop or phone view view, I am having to stay Removing the tiles and adding the updated dashboards again so that the client having the dashboard updated every day, how can I solve this problem?

Thank's!!!

This is great @yoshihirok.

Thanks!

Thank you, @yaronc

Next, I will try Power BI Mobile on over 2GB memory's Windows 10 Mobile device.

and I hope the documents about this, for customers who need to select the Windows 10 Mobile device.

My device issue.
1. a lot of time - Live tile update missing.

2. a lot of time - Report view fail and return to home screen.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Kawabata

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors