Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ea12997

URL to open report - circumvent app or export

Hello - 

Hope this is an easy one.  

In a sales application, I embed a power bi url that can be opened to view sales data.  Our team has the power bi app on their devices, however, when they open this report directly in the app, they lose the ability to export into excel (global settings).  

I would like to be able to configure this link to not open in the app, but to go directly to power bi online and open in the url so that they can export.  

Can I configure the report or url to NOT open in the app, but to open directly in the browser? 

Thank you 

export pbi.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
mshenhav
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hey @ea12997 ,

you should use this format: 

https://app.powerbi.com/Redirect?Action=OpenReport&reportObjectId=<reportid-guid>&groupObjectId=<groupobjectid-guid>&reportPage=ReportSection<num>

(read more about URL format in Power BI here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/mobile/mobile-apps-deep-link-specific-location#cr...

This link will first take the user a page that pops a message to the user, asking if they want to open in the mobile app. The user can choose not to use the app and use the link in the page to continue in Power BI web sevice.

step0.PNGstep2.PNG

ea12997

Hello Maya, 

Could you kindly provide an example of a URL to will only open in the browser and not the app?  I tried several things in that guide you referenced, and they all default to the app.

Thank you

mshenhav
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

hey @ea12997 ,

Using "redirect" URL format lands on a page where the user can choose not to open the link using the app by selecting "cancel" and then clicking the link "continue to powerbi.com" to get the browser open the report.

regards,

Maya

ea12997

Hi Maya, 

Thank you for the reply.  

The URL formatting in the link you provided will redirect the link to open directly in the app.  I am attempting to do the opposite, not open in the app but only open in the browser.  

Can you please clarify how to do that?

Thank you

mshenhav
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hey @ea12997 ,

Export to excel is a capability we are considering, so might be added to the app in the future.

Regarding opening the browser, you should use a URL in a format of "redirect" which will land a user on a page which they can choose if to open in the app or in the browser. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/mobile/mobile-apps-deep-link-specific-location#cr...)

Thanks, Maya

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors