Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Show Data Point as Table - Grand Total not enabled / Selecting Multiple Data Points

Hello All,

I have created a power bi report for internal users.  They would like to see the underlying data, either by using a computer APP or the web version.  I already know there is a way to export this, but I would like to give them to option to view on the report immediately by right clicking the data point and then clicking the "Show Data Point as a Table".  

1.  I have created a Matrix visualization.  All data points seem to work to "Show Data Point as a Table", but the grand total  (The data point in the bottom right corner)  When I right click this the "Show Data Point as a Table" , it is not available to be selected.  Does anyone know how to enable this?
Cannot no select grand totalCannot no select grand total
2.  I noticed if you hold ctrl you are able to select multiple data points on the matrix, but when you right click this multi selection and you click "Show Data Point as Table" it will only show the single selection where you right clicked.  Is it possible to select multiple data points and "show both data points as a table"?  

Cannot select more than 1 data pointCannot select more than 1 data point

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

#1. For the feature 'show data point as table', it means extract current position row contents to a table.(similar filtered records)
For the global total level, its row contents has summary whole table records that not contain specific filters so only 'show data table' availed.

#2. Current this feature seems not support multiple data points, maybe you can submit an idea to improve this feature.
Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

#1.  But the "show data point as a table" is enabled for an entire column and for an entire row which is the a summary, but it is not enabled for all columns and all rows of the matrix... which doesn't make much sense to me.  I think this data point is refering to specific underlying data becasue the grand total count should be equal to the number of rows in the underlying data.

#2 Noted.  I will see if there are any duplicates on Power Bi Ideas and add accordingly.

HI @Anonymous,

Hmm, I guess the dev team thinks these features have similar functions on the 'whole table' total level so they keep the older and more generalized 'show as table' feature. 😀

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Perhaps check out the Ideas forurm or You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your feedback.

I was not able to find a duplicate or similar issue. So i have posted a new issue:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Show-Data-Point-as-Table-Grand-Total-not-enabled-in-Matrix/i...

I would be interested what kind of feedback you get on this since it has come up multiple times recently.

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This has come up before but in a different context around drill through. There appears to be functionality that is disabled for grand total cell and it seems to be "by design" at this point and not a bug or anything that you can do to change it.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors