Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SAML based SSO for SSRS 2016 Mobile reporting in Power BI app

I am investigating a scenario/set up where we want to host SSRS 2016 Mobile reports for one of our clients and provide SSO using SAML.

As it is known, SSRS 2016 Mobile reports are consumed in Power BI app and as per the recent updates to Power BI app, it now allows OAuth to connect to Reporting Services (2016). The standard set up to do so can be found on Power BI site, https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-mobile-oauth-ssrs/?mobileclient=ios

The above standard set up uses ADFS for user authentication when authenticating the user on Reporting Services (along with OAuth).

However, in our case, we would like to use SAML assertion over OAuth to provide authentication for Reporting Services as the Identity Provider is not in the same domain and is not something we have control over.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of if OAuth support for Reporting Services (SSRS 2016) will work with a SAML assertion from a separate Identity provider other than ADFS in the same domain as that of SSRS?

Is it correct to assume that in the above set up, we can simply replace the redirect URL to that of the third party Identity provider and it will simply show the login screen from the Identity provider to authenticate the user and pass the SAML token back to client to be used by SSRS?

There is a PoC available which uses SAML 2.0 Bearer Assertion Flow for OAuth 2.0 at the following location and I am not sure if this principle will work with SSRS 2016 Mobile reports in Power BI app?http://blog.scottlogic.com/2015/11/19/oauth2-with-saml2.html

Look forward to any help/advice on this.

Happy to share more details if any of the above is not clear.

Cheers,

Hitesh

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I was wondering if you had any updates since we last spoke to see if this feature will be added in the near future?

Hitesh

Hi all,

We currently do not support SAML and we do not have a plan to add that in this semster.

If this is important to you, please open an idea for it so we can track how many users are interested.

Thanks,

Gabi

Thanks for the update, Gabil.

I will submit an idea in the user group and track it there.

Hitesh

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hiteshpatel1983,

Current I haven't found any documents mentioned it support SAML. I will contact to power bi mobile team for this feature and update here once I received the feedback.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for your prompt reply and look forward to seeing what do you hear from the Power BI Mobile team on this.

Hi @hiteshpatel1983,

I got the feedback, current power bi mobile not support SAML. For your requirement, you can submit it to ideas.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

We are currently running into a SAML issue, and was wondering if this has been resolved for use in the Power BI Desktop.  This has broken many dashboards, as we upgraded a reporting site using SAML.

GQ

Hi @GQinBURQUE

I have submitted an idea for this functionality on Power BI Ideas forum and it will be useful if you can vote for it there.

Here's the link,

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/30966808-saml-based-sso-for-ssrs-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors