Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security and Mobile View Report?

Hi,

A bit of back-story:

We have PowerBI Premium and we use "Apps" (I find this name very silly) to share reports.

Datasets cannot be used across multiple Apps. I have a dataset with RLS, technicians see only their data, Managers see data for all of their technicians.

What I'm trying to do:

Ideally I would like to have one Report with one Dataset published to Technicians and their Managers but depending on their roles, they would see a different page.

Technicians will be using the app in their mobile phones while Managers on their laptops.

I created two pages, one optimised for mobie view (for Techs with limited amount of information) and the second optimised for laptop view (with detailed information about Techs performance).

I don't want Technicians to be able to see the Managers' view, even though they would only see their data, it would be too detailed and they mustn't see that data.

Is this achieveable? Are there any workarounds? I don't want to have two Reports in two Apps, with two Datasets (that would be exactly the same but I would have to publish it twice in two different places...)

Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

Regards,

Jarek

3 REPLIES 3
klimbo13
Regular Visitor

Would you be interested in doing a video on the top 5 technical problems that Power BI Bluestacks TextNow users have? Keep up the great work!

mshenhav
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hey Jarek,

Power BI Mobile apps respect RLS - so your users should get only the data they have permission to view.

For you technitians, you can create phone report layout (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/mobile-apps-view-phone-report ) for the same report you have for the managers. Phone report layout is optimized for mobile device consumption and you can place on the phone layout only the visuals that are relevant for the technicians. once you have a phone report, when the technicians will access this report page from their mobile phone they will get different layout than the managers. 

There is a current limitation that visuals in your phone report layout must be a subset of those visuals that are in the landscape reports (the report for managers shown on the browser), so if you need the technitians report to have visual that you don't need in the managers view, you still need to create and place it in the manager's view behind another visual and allocate it very small canvas size.

Hope it address your needs,

Maya

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Maya,

But all the Technician would need to do is turn his phone sideways (enter landscape mode) and he will be able to see the same screen as his manager (except for only one person instead of whole team due to RLS) which contains a detailed information I don't want him to see.

As I believe there's no option to turn off landscape mode on mobiles at the moment?

Thanks for taking your time to reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors