Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ZoltanT
Frequent Visitor

Renaming Columns

Hi,

I have created a report using desktop Power BI, and have pulished it to Microsoft Apps to share it. I have since made adjustments in the desktop version including renaming columns. Now when I replace the published version on the app, the re-named columns do not appear and any visuals using the colunm break. 

I would expect the column with the new name to be uploaded to the app along with the any visual changes, but this does not seen to be happening. It appears that the visuals are being updated, but not the column name. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @ZoltanT,

Obviously, it means you update your report contents but did not do sync these changes to your workspace app. Power bi shows the error message due to the references to old table fields and expressions which don't exist current datasets.

For power bi app update operations, you need to navigate to that workspace and click on top-right yellow 'update app' button and do detail settings to update.

Publish an app in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ZoltanT,

What type of workspace did this issue appear? New version workspace or upgrade classic workspace?  In addition, what type of datasource are you worked? Any specific settings enabled in your report/data source?

Please share more detail information and the detail operations steps to help us clarify and reproduce your issue.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So you republished it to the workspace, did you update the App? Go to the workspace and click Update App in the upper right corner.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler , thanks for looking into this. 

Yes, I am publishing it fom a power BI desktop report to a workspace on the windows app (part of office 365) as a report. 

I have searched high and low for an 'Update App' button but can not see it. 

I can however see a 'Publish App' button

Oh, yes, when you said you had published it to Microsoft Apps, I assumed you had used Publish App. When you publish the App, that will be replaced with Update App. So, what do you mean by you published it to Microsoft Apps?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Oh right, I see. 

I hope I am using the correct terminology here. Maybe I only published it to the Workspace?

When I am working in a report on the Desktop version, in the ribbon there is a 'Publish' Icon. When I press this I am presented with options to publish the report to either a team site or a workspace within the Microsoft 365 platform. When I used the word 'app' in this context, I was refering to the Microsoft 365 Power BI app. I wish I could upload an image. Once the report is in a workspace, I use it to share the report withother team members. I have not used the 'Publish to App' button at all yet. 

I only have a Pro Licence. Not sure if this makes a difference

HI @ZoltanT,

Obviously, it means you update your report contents but did not do sync these changes to your workspace app. Power bi shows the error message due to the references to old table fields and expressions which don't exist current datasets.

For power bi app update operations, you need to navigate to that workspace and click on top-right yellow 'update app' button and do detail settings to update.

Publish an app in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors