Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

fingerz
Regular Visitor

Problems signing in on iOS with Azure Authenticator app installed

Hi, my company has enabled Azure Multi-Factor Authentication on my Office 365 account. Since updating to version 8.6 of the Power BI mobile app, when I click "Get Started" and then chose"Power BI", the Azure Authenticator app (v. 3.4.2) launches and I'm given the option to select my Office 365 Account. After that the Azure Authenticator redirects back to the Power BI app which gives an error saying:
Sign In Error
An unexpected error occurred. Please try again.

This sign in behavior (automatically opening the Authenticator app) is new in this release of the Power BI iOS app. Previously it displayed my company's ADFS login page and then asked me to verify myself using the Azure Authenticator app. It wasn't perfect because it forced me to login on average once a day, but at least I could sign in.

On my iPad that doesn't have the Azure Authenticator app installed, I'm able to sign in without any trouble.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The recent update to Microsoft Authenticator (v. 3.4.4, previously called Azure Authenticator) seems to have fixed the login issue on both iOS 10 and iOS 9 for me. I recommend everyone using Azure MFA on iOS devices immediately update to this new version.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
nickb37

Hello,

We're experiencing this issue after the iOS 10 update while using multi-factor authentication. There was a work around by downloading the Microsoft Authenticator app in conjunction with our third-party MFA software. However, after the last Power BI app update, we are unable to authenticate. Is anyone else experiencing this issue with MFA in iOS 10  and the latest Power BI update?

Thanks

Hi. Erez from the Power BI Mobile team again.

We have identified another issue with the Azure Authenticator login in iOS 10 and are actively working on solving the issue to provide an update as soon as possible.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

fingerz
Regular Visitor

Some follow up...it could be that the last update to the Azure Authenticator app register's itself as the handler for their domain and so any app that tries to open a web page with that specific domain gets redirected to the app.

If I delete my Office 365 account from the Azure Authenticator app, then I am able to sign into Power BI. The Power BI iOS app still opens the Azure Authenticator app, but since no account is configured, it just displays the standards ADFS login page for my domain and then returns me to the Power BI app.

Looks like you need to talk to the team making Azure Authenticator and make sure the new Microsoft Authenticator app being release on August 15th does the right thing and is fully tested against the Power BI iOS app since it will be replacing the Azure Authenticator app that I'm currently using.

Hi.

I'm Erez, a software engineer working in the Power BI for iOS team in Microsoft.

Thanks for your post and your follow-up.

Indeed, we integrated cross app communication with the Azure Authenticator app (if installed) to enhance the login experience. Sorry to hear that you have problems with it.

Did you try to re-add your Office 365 account (using the + button) and try again?

Can you try to apply the same login steps to the Microsoft Excel iOS app (within the devicethat has the Azure Authenticator installed)?

Looking forward for your answers.

Erez.

OK...would have been nice if that had been mentioned in the release notes. Anyway, I think it's a good thing to do, but in my case it seems auth is now broken for the other Microsoft iOS apps I have installed (like Excel). Even after deleting and re-adding my Office 365 account, I get the same error message in both Power BI and Excel iOS apps.

I'm going to add the caveat that I'm running iOS 10 Developer Beta 4 on the device I currently have with me, but I will test again tomorrow with my iPad running iOS 9.3.3 in the office. That device currently does not have the Azure Authenticator app installed, but I will do that and test again.

When I first posted this issue, I was not running iOS 10 on my iPhone...but I am now so I can't rule out that is the cause. If this is a bug in iOS 10 Dev Beta 4, then I would suggest letting Apple know because they will finalize the OS in two weeks and need to fix whatever they've broken in inter-app communications.

Thanks for your answers.

We're working extensively to adapt Power BI to iOS 10 beta. Part of our process is adapting to the cross-app communication mechanism.

I managed to reproduce the iOS10 problem in our systems as well. As iOS 10 is in beta stage, we currently don't officially support it, but fix issues to allow iOS 10 adaption from day one.

I'll update once we'll manage to solve this problem.

If you can, please let us know if you get this problem in iOS 9.x as well.

The recent update to Microsoft Authenticator (v. 3.4.4, previously called Azure Authenticator) seems to have fixed the login issue on both iOS 10 and iOS 9 for me. I recommend everyone using Azure MFA on iOS devices immediately update to this new version.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My organization users are also facing the same issue from today only. This is happening to iphone users who have updated the app recently.

After giving the username & password, below error screen is coming in mobile (in Browser, it is running fine)

IMG-20160808-WA0000.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors