Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

binayprasai
Advocate II
Advocate II

Preserve filter selection through bookmark

Is there anyway I can pass the filter selction to the bookmarked pages? Or is there any alternative to this?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @binayprasai,

Nope, current you can't use filter to affect saved bookmark pages.

Please take a look at below link to know about this feature:

Use bookmarks to share insights and build stories in Power BI (Preview)

Limitations and considerations

In this preview release of the bookmarks, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

• Custom visuals do not work with bookmarking if they are the source of the filter. If you're using custom visuals to filter elements on a page (for example, the chiclet slicer) and return to that page using a bookmark, the page may be filtered but the custom visual won't be updated to show how the page is being filtered.
  • Cross-highlighting status for a report pane is not saved when you create a bookmark.
  • If you add a visual on a report page after creating a bookmark, the visual will be displayed in its default state. This also means that if you introduce a slicer into a page where you previously created bookmarks, the slicer will behave in its default state.
  • Moving around visuals after a bookmark has been created will be reflected in the bookmark.
  • You must have at least one bookmark in your report, when you publish it to the Power BI service, in order for bookmarks to be available in the service. This is a requirement for each report you publish.
  • Since bookmarks are currently a Preview feature, they're not yet available in Power BI Desktop for Report Server.

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
KarenL7
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thank you for this post it may be a long time back - but it has definetly solved my problem with Bookmarks and filters

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @binayprasai,

Nope, current you can't use filter to affect saved bookmark pages.

Please take a look at below link to know about this feature:

Use bookmarks to share insights and build stories in Power BI (Preview)

Limitations and considerations

In this preview release of the bookmarks, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

• Custom visuals do not work with bookmarking if they are the source of the filter. If you're using custom visuals to filter elements on a page (for example, the chiclet slicer) and return to that page using a bookmark, the page may be filtered but the custom visual won't be updated to show how the page is being filtered.
  • Cross-highlighting status for a report pane is not saved when you create a bookmark.
  • If you add a visual on a report page after creating a bookmark, the visual will be displayed in its default state. This also means that if you introduce a slicer into a page where you previously created bookmarks, the slicer will behave in its default state.
  • Moving around visuals after a bookmark has been created will be reflected in the bookmark.
  • You must have at least one bookmark in your report, when you publish it to the Power BI service, in order for bookmarks to be available in the service. This is a requirement for each report you publish.
  • Since bookmarks are currently a Preview feature, they're not yet available in Power BI Desktop for Report Server.

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xiaoxin,

Any news on this one in terms of passing on filters? Especially when trying to toggle between bookmarks with the help of buttons. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Eli

There is a resolution for this now. Please use sync slicer. 

You can follow Feb 2018 update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVB5RwMzJo

Best

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I cannot get it to work with the use of buttons, which is required...

I have the exacts the same issue, I want to use buttons to show different visuals but keep the filters across the different visuals 

In July release of mobile and service, you can share report with slicer and filters.

When openning the shared URL in mobile it will respect the slicers and filters shared.

Maya

Hello,

Did someone was able to fix this?

Thank you

Hey @OliveiraThiago,

Can be more specifc on the scenario you are looking after?

Thanks, Maya

Hello,

I believe I can. I am using sync slicer, drill through and bookmarks. Bookmarks are only for the current pages, but sync slicer and drill through should be in all pages I have. So, I can write you an example:

I pick up a filter using slicer, after, I go to a specific page, where I have two bookmarks (Monthly and YTD). If Monthly is the bookmark selected before I apply my slicer on the previous page. I can simply change the months I want to see; however, if I change to YTD bookmark, the filter I applied with sync slicer is gone. 

I read some topics at the community saying that I should simply disable Data option on bookmarks I set up. The point is that, somehow, when I do such thing it seems that my bookmarks is no long working. 

Thank you

Hey @OliveiraThiago,

Does the below scenario is working for you in the browser/Power BI Desktop and not working in the mobile app?

Thanks, Maya

How did you solve this? I have the same issue. I have page filters that I have synch to my two pages in my report.  I now also added a book mark as a fancy way to go to the other tab of the report, but when I use the book mark to get the the other tab, a changed page filter setting is lost, as the book mark reverts to the orignal page filter.

Is there someway around this?

I am using PowerBI Desktop. 

Had same issue my side

When you make a bookmark. Click on the elipsis (...) beside the bookmark name and uncheck data. 

Thanks sir

Thank you 🙂 resolve it 😉

Ahh, thanks! Works like a charm now!

Hello @mshenhav,

Thank you for your answer. It wasn't work on my Desktop, can not tell you about mobile since I didn't publish it.

However, I managed to solve this. I was using page filters; instead, I had to change my measures and work with my visuals, one visual per bookmark.

Cheers,

Thiago 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Any news on this one? Any possibility to pass over filters when toggeling report pages with buttons linked to bookmarks??

Best,

Eli

Hey Eli,

It is work in progress. 

It is expected to be release soon, Stay tuned.

Maya

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.