Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cturner
Helper I
Helper I

Mobile dashboard tiles open visuals in focus mode, any way to link to the report tab instead?

We've gone to the trouble of setting up mobile versions of dashboards and the linked reports.  This functionality could use a lot of improvement, but it's a start.  However, the tiles in the dashboard open the linked visual in focus mode by default.   We can change the link to the report file, but these reports have multiple tabs and we can't specify the tab in the link (that I know of).  Specifying a custom link opens the report in a browser window instead of the mobile app.

Is there ANY way to get a mobile dashboard tile to open the linked report TAB by default?  I'm aware that we can click the ... elipsis to do this, but that's very clunky and this project is for leadership who are going to ask why in the world they have to do that.

Hoping there's a trick/workaround for this.  Thanks.

--Corey

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @cturner,

Maybe you can try to use custom link to point this dashboard/tile to specific report tab.

Edit or remove a dashboard tile

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@cturner and @v-shex-msft, any workaround found?

It's been nearly a year since @cturner's original post, and I am still experiencing the exact same issue.

• In the web browser, you click on a dashboard tile and get taken directly to the linked report page. In the Mobile Apps, you click on a dashboard tile and get taken to a full screen version of that tile.

The fact that there are two different experiences for the same action is annoying and very difficult to explain to the end user.

Can we please get the mobile team to add an option to single-click on a dashboard tile to open the link? 

EDIT: I see now that the "set a custom url" is the workaround, but doing this for every single tile on every single dashboard on every single workspace/app I create for my clients is not feasable. 

Sorry, no update from my side.  I love power BI desktop/service, but we've largely abandoned mobile development until it is vastly improved.

Hey @justinh,

The work around is to define custom link (described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dashboard-edit-tile#change-the-default-hyperlink). this will override the default behaviour and will navigate you to the report page defined in the link.

Thanks, Maya

Hey @mshenhav ,

The problem with the "external link work around" is that it forces the app to rebuild, instead of simply switching to a section of itself.  Links within an app are very fast. External links are stutering, and reloading visuals and data. 

A proper solution would be to have a way to toggle the mobile click behaviour betwen "open in focus mode" and "open report page".

Vote this one up - https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/38592136-ability-to-customize-wha...

After spending a whole bunch of time setting up a dashboard/app on my desktop yesterday, I was proud. I was just about to send it  out to the masses but decided to pull it up on my phone first and found this stupid issue! Why does Microsoft always need to make things so difficult?

From a customer perspective the little oversights in functionality and differences in experience between desktop and mobile suck. 

As I migrate from this work around for this issue and that work around for that issue and read these forums, I don't get an overwheliming feeling of support or care coming from Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors