Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karimm
Helper II
Helper II

Embedding a PowerBI report inside a Portrait PowerApp using mobile layout

Hi there

Question: Is it possible for a PowerAPP to request PowerBI to render an embedded report in mobile layout?

Background:

I have a PowerBI report that is embedded inside a PowerApp. Both are being used in Desktop Landscape mode.

The report is hosted on the service in a Premium capacity workspace.

The PowerApp team would like to develop a version of the app that will be used on mobile phones in Portrait orientation.

I would like to use the PowerBI built-in mechanism of mobile layout to create the portrait view of my report.

When we tested this, the PowerApp is always showing the web (landscape) version of the report (with blank areas on top and bottom).

Is it possible for the PowerAPP to request the embedded PowerBI to render the mobile layout instead? Can we pass a parameter in the embedding URL?

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @karimm 

Based on my research, the current PowerBI built-in mechanism of mobile layout works in Power BI Mobile App, not for Embed scenarios. 

In your scenario, you could adjust the page size of the Power BI report into a mobile screen size although it is actually in landscape mode. This may be an alternative. Please refer to this blog A better way to Mobile - (powerbi.tips)

Another alternative is that you could pin all Power BI report visuals to a Power BI dashboard first. Then in Power Apps Canvas, using Insert > Charts > Power BI Tile to add Power BI visuals to your Power Apps. See How to create a canvas app with Power BI visual - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

Or you could try adding a Power BI dashboard to your App or add Power BI tiles to your own dashboard in your App. Add or edit Power BI visualizations on your dashboard - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

Hope this could be helpful. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Thank you so much for the detailed answer.

Are you sure about this part? 

Based on my research, the current PowerBI built-in mechanism of mobile layout works in Power BI Mobile App, not for Embed scenarios. 

Based on the following article, it should be possible to request the mobile layout in Web Applications:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/javascript/api/overview/powerbi/mobile#how-to-embed-a-report-using-...

I'm just surprised, that it's possible to request mobile layout in any web app, but not in PowerApps, which is a Microsoft product...

Anyway, we are currently going the approach of having new page with custom size that is adapted for mobile, in addition to the regular desktop pages (which I believe is what you meant in your first suggestion).

The mobile adapted pages are all hidden and will navigate to each other using shapes. The URL for embedding into PowerApp's Power BI Tile will be taken from the service and we will add pageName parameter so that the relevant mobile adapted page is loaded by default.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors