Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

galbraithag
Frequent Visitor

Drill up and down on Power BI Mobile

All:

I have built a visualization in the Report section of Power BI with Drill up and Down capabilities.  When using the dashboard on the desktop or web version, the drilling capabilities work as expected.  However once, this item is pinned to the dashboard, so it can be viewed via the Iphone/Andriod App the drilling capabilities disappear.  Has anyone been able to get this to work or do you know if this will be coming soon?

Thanks,
Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ellbe
Employee
Employee

Hi Andrew - Drill down and up capabilities are still not supported in the mobile apps. We are aware of the need for those capabilities are are currently working to enable to enable them.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ellbe
Employee
Employee

Hi Andrew - Drill down and up capabilities are still not supported in the mobile apps. We are aware of the need for those capabilities are are currently working to enable to enable them.

Hi,

I ask the same question. When does the mobile app support drill down and up?

It was about a year ago you answered this issue.

Is theher any progress and planned solutions for this feature?

//Jesper

Any success on this topic? Still up to now it is not working when pinned live in dashboard view.

Reports view works fine but still need to enable the drill button.

When I built mine from the desktop, everything is expected to work same conditions but it does not.

I guess close to 2 years now from the original thread, I hope Power BI Team is aware about this issue being pending upto this time.

djohnson
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am having the same issue - but it seems to be on Dashboards in general (agnostic to platform). I have sent several emails to Microsoft support only to get flippant (e.g. I am doing something wrong; which is kinda hard to do with drill-down/drill-up functionality) or no response back at all. Its VERY disturbing since we are on the Pro service and are paying for it.. Oh, and the response window for a non-$500 support ticket is nowhere close to what i've seen (when they do respond).

My sentiment is: There are a lot of strengths to PBI (DAX, ETL capabilities, Ease of use). But the visualizations are really crude and limited. All the semi-decent ones are community developed BETA products and core functionality is not universally supported. 

mguzmanluna

Dear All - Same happened to me. I have built a visualization in the Report section of Power BI with Drill up and Down capabilities but I cannot even see the Drill Up and Down capabilities on the dashboard, on the desktop; is there anything I am missing? Kindly please let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

Manuel Guzman

@galbraithag It would appear that they've only exposed the ability to view the page in the app right now. If you check out the release blog here, the below sentence indicates to me that they plan on adding some additional functionality.

"This is only the beginning of the mobile reports journey. Stay tuned!"

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

The senior execs we deal with seem to all come from a background where they want to be able to drill into the detail.  They like the summary issues up close and personal, but they want instant access to the detail that underly the summaries.  These are generally not fortune 100 companies, but rather companies with sales in the $2-10 Billilon range.

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@galbraithag, you are correct. Drill down is not available on the mobile apps.

But as @Seth_C_Bauer has said, I am sure they have something planned for the future although I have not seen any mention of it.

On a side note, drill down does not worry me. The mobile apps are designed for senior management. Although it would be a nice to have, senior management are not into the detail. They just want to see what's current for the year or month. Are the numbers up or down ? Good or Bad ? If they have additional questions, they will just annotate it and send an email to the manager in question for an answer.

Cheers,

Daniel

@Seth_C_Bauer I couldn't agree with you more on the senior management comments, however I work for a smaller company and senior management is requesting this functionality.  Hopefully they release something soon on this topic!

Thanks,

Andrew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors