Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

martinrowe
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dashboard tile not updating but report does

Hello

I seem to have a curious problem with the dashboard tiles on Android mobile app. I have recently reinstalled the app also but this doesnt seem to have resolve my problem.

Scenario.

I have pinned some reports to my dashboard, however I cant see the latest data. The underlying report is scheduled to refresh every few hours, but when i open via the dashboard tile i cannot see the latest data (currently it only shows up to 10am yesterday and the dataset was refreshed several times since then).

When i open the dashboard title in report view I can see the latest data in line with the refresh time so I am sure i have set this up properly. I have had problems before with what I assume is caching and closing the app and restarting it would solve it, but now it just seems impossible to get this to work.

Some of the tiles that are pinned to the report do show the latest data though, just some specific visuals do not. I thought it may be a visual specific thing but all the tiles are table visuals so having some that do and some that dont doesnt seem to make sense.

20 REPLIES 20
asimejaz

Hello..

I'm facing same issue in both mobilke app as well as Web platform.

Please guide if any one have solution to this problem. I think unpin and pin again is not a proper solution of this problem.

Regards.

Hey @asimejaz,

Since you are experiencing the problem in the service, please post your question here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/bd-p/power-bi-web-app.

The Mobile app uses the same data source as the web. once solved in the web, the app should be updated as well.

Thanks, Maya

joaomanoelcs

Hi Martin,

did u have this problem solved?

I have same problem as you in a project i'm working on.

Thanks.

I wouldnt say I have solved this issue, but I have worked around it. The only way I could make it work was to save a version of the report without slicers on the page and create the dashboard from those reports. Where I needed a filter I used the visual filters to achieve it.

From my experience it seems due to the on page slicers add these seen to freeze the report in its current state. This never used to happen to me but seemed to slowly impact several reports. I could never pin it down exactly as it seemed to impact some visual or pages and not others despite the content and structure being broadly similar

Also making sure that the visuals are made with latest version of the visual seems to help. I had a couple that seemed to have gone awry after visuals came out of preview mode. Rebuilding them after they were formally released also helped.

The mobile app seems to have a lot of niggling usability issues which really undermine it. It could be brilliant but it's let down by a seeming lack of focus on end user experience.

@martinrowe Did you happen to open a ticket for this? If not, I will do so. Thanks!

I am having this issue again. It is very frustrating. Have you gotten any solution?

Hi all,

Here is the temporary solution that I found, when I encounter similar issue:

/ Power Query

CurrentMonthFlag =
Date.IsInCurrentMonth( [Date] )

YTDFlag =
Date.IsInYearToDate( [Date] )

These will be true or false, depending on where the date on that row falls. You can then filter your reports on CurrentMonthFlag = True and / or YTDFlag = True.

When your model refreshes overnight, these fields will be updated. Your filters need not change, because the underlying data has changed for you.

Review original post for more detials: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dashboard-not-update-after-changing-filter-in-power-bi-desk...

Hope it helps!!

Cheers,

Thanks - unfortunately this is not my problem. Maybe I replied to the wrong thread, misunderstanding the original problem. My issue does not involve filters needing to be changed. It is that the visuals are not updating on dashboards with the updated values. When you click on the tile and go to the report, the values are as they should be. But not matter how much I refresh the dashboard, the cards, graphs, etc. never update. So I have to go through and re-pin all of the tiles.

Hello @mmerchak,

Are you experiencing this behavior in Power BI Mobile app or also in the web?

Can you please verify where the problem exists? and also provide us details on the app version and platform you are using?

Thanks, Maya

I don't use the app so I am not sure if it happens there as well. I am experiencing it on the web.

I am confused by your second question "Can you please verify where the problem exists?" Is this different from the first answer? If so, what do you mean?

And I am using Google Chrome. My colleague uses Microsoft Edge and the problem is there as well.

Since you are experiencing a problem in the service, please post your question here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/bd-p/power-bi-web-app

This forum is for Power BI Mobile apps only, and we cannot address Service issues here.

Thanks Maya

Thank you! I was just lead to this thread via a google search for my problem. I am so sorry!

yaronc
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi @martinrowe,

What happens after you pull to refresh the dashboard (after refresh is complete)? is it still not up to date?

What happens if you rotate the phone to landscape view? is it still not up to date?

Thanks,

Yaron

Thanks for your response.

No - sadly neither of these will allow the tile to show the latest data from the underlying report. The only thing that does is using the open in report view option

In the meantime I have tried to recreate this with a matrix to see if it is something that is a visual specific problem as other visuals do seem to update.

Thanks for your response.

to isolate the problem, can you please check that on browser app.powerbi.com? is that different than mobile?

Thanks,

Yaron

Sadly I still see the same behaviour via this method. The tile seems stuck showing the data view from when the tile was originally pinned to the dash.

Another possible related symptom I see on the same dash is some tiles show the live data but when I check on the tile to expand it, when it opens in the expended view it shows old data.

The matrix I tried also had the same problem.

Based on your answer it seems that this issue is not mobile only but appear also in the web. 

Can you open a customer ticket so our support team will get to it and give this issue the required attention?

Seems like a possible bug that worth the investigation. 

Hi - Sorry I have been away and not able to follow this up.

I have recreated the report fro scratch (new page within existing report) and I have the functionality working as it should. However the original report doesnt seem to work not matter what I try.

The original report is quite an old report (circa 9 months when first created), I thought at first that it maybe because I hadnt changed the table visuals to the newest version after it came out of preview mode a few months back but I can confirm that this is not the case. But I do suspect that there is a potential regression or backwards compatability issue somewhere either with the visual used or the online service itself.

I will create a ticket for it non the less and see what the outcome is, is there any specific information i should include in the ticket as there is no error log or output that may pertain to the problem?

We have the same issue with our browser based dashboard not reflecting any changes from the underlying report.  If we refresh or otherwise, it is staying static to the underlying report from which the visual was pinned.

@martinrowe wrote:

Hi - Sorry I have been away and not able to follow this up.

I have recreated the report fro scratch (new page within existing report) and I have the functionality working as it should. However the original report doesnt seem to work not matter what I try.

The original report is quite an old report (circa 9 months when first created), I thought at first that it maybe because I hadnt changed the table visuals to the newest version after it came out of preview mode a few months back but I can confirm that this is not the case. But I do suspect that there is a potential regression or backwards compatability issue somewhere either with the visual used or the online service itself.

I will create a ticket for it non the less and see what the outcome is, is there any specific information i should include in the ticket as there is no error log or output that may pertain to the problem?

Hi Martin,

Please add the app version and the OS version and some screenshots of the problem will help also.

Thanks,

Gabi

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors