Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tiptran
Regular Visitor

App sharing requires sharing individual reports?

Hi,

I shared my app with a user. He could access the app but the dashboard included in the app did not load for him. It turned out that I needed to grant him access to the dashboard and the underlying reports too. This behavior/requirement is not documented anywhere in Power BI documentation. Am I missing something? It is quite unintuitive to share the app and all included contents separately.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @tiptran,

What type of data sources your app contain?  If they are configured to use end-user credentials(SSO) to verify but end-user did not have corresponded permissions to access data sources, it means you need to do advanced permission management operations. (e.g. AS Datasource and 'map user name' feature)

Manage data sources#add-a-data-source 

Manage your data source - Analysis Services#map-user-names-for-analysis-services-data-sources 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

The data source used in the app was a simple Excel spreadsheet. I forgot to mention that it appeared all shared users did have access to the underlying dataset, but not the included dashboard and reports. 

In a nutshell, sharing an app will only automatically share the dataset, while the included dashboard and reports need to be shared explicitly in addition to that. Is this an expected behavior of Power BI Service?

Cheers

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, if you granted the user access via the App then it should have assigned the correct permissions if the dashboard and reports were in the workspace. Otherwise something went wrong. If the App items are not in the workspace (like a shared dataset) then these permissions are not automatically assigned and you have to add them manually and that is documented.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you Greg, I can confirm that all dashboards and reports were indeed in the workspace. Sharing the app did NOT share these component items even though they were included in the app. Any idea why this happened?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors