Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

webview2 proces failed out of memory

My power bi crashes 10 times per day and more.

Hi @MilicaPavlović 

Please try to disable Power BI Desktop infrastructure update in Options(File>Option and settings>Options>Preview features) and check whether the performance of Desktop will be improved. If performance issue is indeed caused by WebView2, please take the method as a workaround currently. In addition, please let me know the versions of your Desktop and your WebView2.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
MilicaPavlović
Advocate I

MilicaPavlovi_0-1644257858978.png

MilicaPavlović
Advocate I

MilicaPavlovi_0-1644257960404.png

MilicaPavlović
Advocate I

MilicaPavlovi_0-1644257985099.png

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @MilicaPavlović 

Please try to disable Power BI Desktop infrastructure update in Options(File>Option and settings>Options>Preview features) and check whether the performance of Desktop will be improved. If performance issue is indeed caused by WebView2, please take the method as a workaround currently. In addition, please let me know the versions of your Desktop and your WebView2.

Best Regards,

MilicaPavlović
Advocate I

@v-cazheng-msftThank you for reply. I disabled this options. If problem persist I will let you know during the day.

P3Sven
Helper I

@v-cazheng-msft  We are facing the same issue in desktop / service. Unfortunately workarround is not working. In online service Power BI report crashes web browser totally..

zausten
Helper I

Also experiencing the same issue, have tried work around and this is not working.  We are also expericing issues in Service. @v-cazheng-msft 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue herehere goes my case

I have this Static report that was published last year that started to crash when viewed online, I got its PBIX to check offline and it crashes as well.

It has something to do with the new Webview2 running out of memory (the thing is I have 32Gb) on my desktop and this report (as well as others) used to work fine locally and published, the issues started last month. Lots of instances of webview show up used a lot of memory and then PBI crashes

talleslessa_0-1644437401431.png

talleslessa_1-1644437454532.png

Here Goes the error messages

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2022-02-09T20:01:47.1781867Z

Local Time:
2022-02-09T17:01:47.1781867-03:00

Session ID:
ca58f1a6-8eb7-4125-969e-7698a3d3b56d

Release:
December 2021

Product Version:
2.100.1401.0 (21.12) (x64)

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2ProcessCrashException
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2BrowserWrapper.OnWebViewProcessFailed(Object sender, CoreWebView2ProcessFailedEventArgs args)

Browser Name:
ExplorationBrowser

Browser Source:
https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/pbi/Web/Views/ReportView.htm

Browser ExitCode:

Browser Crash Reason:
OutOfMemory

Browser Crash Kind:
RenderProcessExited

Browser Process Description:

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.100.1401.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2BrowserWrapper","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.WebView2.WebView2ProcessCrashException - WebView2 Process Failed: ExplorationBrowser, Source:https://ms-pbi.pbi.microsoft.com/pbi/Web/Views/ReportView.htm ExitCode:-536870904 Reason:OutOfMemory ProcessFailedKind:RenderProcessExited ProcessDescription:","MethodDef":"OnWebViewProcessFailed","ErrorOffset":"125"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19044.0 (x64 pt-BR)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:
54.9 GB

Private Memory:
1.07 GB

Peak Working Set:
1.21 GB

IE Version:

User ID:
960f6957-2851-4ad8-9da2-21eebc0a6978

Workbook Package Info:
1* - pt-BR, Query Groups: 18, fastCombine: Enabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: False.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Import

Model Version:
PowerBI_V3

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_enableWebView2
PBI_sparklines
PBI_scorecardVisual

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_dynamicParameters
PQ_WebView2Connector
PBI_useModernFormatPane

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

zausten
Helper I

@MilicaPavlović 

I have managed to part resolve this issue by clearing cache in PBI desktop (under diagnostics).  Then unchecking the options in Preview features as above.  However we still had a problem in the Service.  We identified using the Smart Filter by OKViz was compounding the issue.  by swapping to out of the box slicer we no longer received out of memory errors in the service.  I logged with OKViz and then have subsequently logged with MS as affecting users of the pro filter as well.  No idea how long to resolve

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @MilicaPavlović ,

Sorry for the bother. May I know whether you still get any memory issue after disabling Power BI Desktop infrastructure update option in Power BI Desktop?

Best Regards,