Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sort not working

I've got a numeric colum (Display Order) with non-unique values. It is set as the default sort in the source table, and this is reflected in Data Mode. However, it is not being used to sort a table viz, even when it has been selected in the list of fields, and displays as the default sort under the Sort By column.

I've also tried creating a summary table to get a unique list of the values, I've joined that table in the Model, and when I try selecting that new field, and using the Sort By menu command it is grayed out.

I want to be able to sort on this column without it having to be visible within the table.  What am I missing.  Thanks,

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @GambiAH,

Please share some sample data and clarify your desired results. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

GambiAH
Regular Visitor

1st image

List1.png1st image shows data list from the Query Editor.  the Sort on the Display Order is the last of the Applied Steps.

2nd image shows the data pulled into a table viz, and the list is being sorted by the Project Title, even though Display Order has been defined as the default in the Sort By column.

List2.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @GambiAH,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. Which Power BI desktop do you run? 

Based on my test in Power BI desktop 2.59.5135.781 64-bit (June 2018), after adding a table visual into the report, we can selecting the Display Order and ProjectTitle columns one by one, the Display Order column is sorting correctly. You can test with our sample report on you side. 

Please update your Power BI desktop to the same version as ours then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

GambiAH
Regular Visitor

Hi      @v-qiuyu-msft

The order that you add the columns to the viz makes a difference.  If the Display Order is the first column added then the sort order is as expected.  However, if you add the other column first, and then add Display Order, the list stays in order of the Project Title, even with the Sort by Column value being set to Display Order.

Ultimately I want to be able to control the sort order of a vizualization, by a column that is not displayed within the viz, which is functionality that I assumed was being provided from the Sort by Column command.