Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sort legend new feature breaks legend order on some report

I have an issue.

It seems a new feature related to legend ordering was release in november, it may have affected my reports.

Since a couple weeks, some of my reports shows  legend data in reverse order.

On my published reports, I noticed that some of my graphs legends got sorted by descending value by default.

mathieulamarre_1-1638300106333.png

mathieulamarre_2-1638300191607.png

I don't want my users to have to reorder manually, but it isn't something that I can change in power bi desktop before publishing, the options are different and there is no way to reorder the legend. 

mathieulamarre_3-1638300246378.png

Note that the report displays fine locally in power Bi desktop before I publish.

mathieulamarre_4-1638300618905.png

Is it a known issue? Could it get fixed?

Hi @mathieulamarre 

That's great! Thanks for your reply! 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @mathieulamarre 

I’ve tested at my side, but I couldn’t repro it. Here is my test on this feature.

Visual in Power BI Desktop:

vcazhengmsft_0-1638328744783.png

Visual in Power BI service:

vcazhengmsft_1-1638328744786.png

May I know whether Reset to default is in yellow on the top right corner of your report page in Power BI service? If yes, please click this button to bring your report to its original state.

vcazhengmsft_2-1638328744788.png

If your issue is not related to Reset to default option, may I know whether there is any other users assigned Contributor, Members or Admin roles in the report workspace have made some changes to this report? If you create a new report and publish it to Power BI service, will you get same issue?

Best Regards,

mathieulamarre
Regular Visitor

If I click the reset button, the order is changed to "sort descending" by default

mathieulamarre_0-1638363507925.png

Then If I change the order to "sort ascending", the button "Reset to default" becomes enabled.

mathieulamarre_1-1638363595113.png

It should be the other way around.

I have an other similar report that works as expected, but I don't know why this one behave like that.

I know the order was fine before, cause I pinned that report on a dashboard a long time ago and the order is still fine in the dashboard:

mathieulamarre_2-1638363719574.png

For your other questions, I am the only contributor to the report.

I also tried doing a new report based on the same data, and the order seems ok.

I guess I could redo my report, but I wanted to understand why I have this problem and if someone else does.

Thank you

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @mathieulamarre 

Thanks for your reply. I understand you are the author of the report. While, users have Admin, Member or Contributor role in the report workspace can edit the report in Power BI service as well by design. For more details, you can refer Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

vcazhengmsft_0-1638408169002.png

Based on the information from you, the most possibility of the issue is someone has edit the report and change the sort to descending. After that, it becomes the default way of sorting values in the chart.

May I know whether you are using My Workspace or other kind of workspace to publish this report? Is there any other user in your report workspace?

Best Regards,

mathieulamarre
Regular Visitor

I just republished my report after downloading the latest version of power BI and by setting "Ascending" as the default value and now it is working fine.

I didn't have the option to reorder the legend before cause I had an older version which didn't correspond to the new feature on the cloud.

It is still weird that only one of my reports had a descending default value, but at least I could fix it by republishing.

Thank you

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @mathieulamarre 

That's great! Thanks for your reply! 

Best Regards,