Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sorry no workspaces were found in power bi service

I have been trying to publish a report to power bi service from power bi desktop but have been unable to.  I edit and save on powerbi.com but I can no longer publish from power bi desktop.  It is one particular type of report that fails - a report with a power bi dataset as the data source.  I have access to add the dataset and create the report in power bi desktop but not publish.  I get the error "Sorry, no workspaces were found in power bi service. Please try again."

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @cubittti

From your description, it looks like the report connects to a Power BI dataset to get data, right? 

If the issue occurs when you publish the report to the same workspace as connected dataset resides on. Please go to Power BI service, access the workspace which contains the Power BI dataset, then click on Get Data -> Files to upload this pbix file to see if you can publish the report successfully. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

cubittti
Employee

Thank you Qiuyun, that worked.  Should this be logged as a bug?  When publishing from Power BI Desktop, it seems to take the Workspaces of the dataset owner rather than the publisher.

Thanks

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @cubittti

Please update Power BI desktop to the latest version 2.71.5523.941 64-bit (July 2019) then test again. 

If the issue still occurs, please share detail steps so we can try to reproduce the issue.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

cubittti
Employee

I can confirm that I'm using the latest version of Power BI desktop (July 2019).

Steps to reproduce (connect to a dataset owned by someone else)

Get Data -> Power BI datasets -> Connect
Select dataset -> Create
Save
Publish
Sorry, no workspaces were found in Power BI service.  Please try again.

If you have permission, you may see their workspaces instead of your own.

tobiasnygren
Resolver I

We had the same problem.
If the dataset is in an classic workspace you will get this message,

but if you use the new workspace instead it is working for us.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 140824256. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I got information below internally:

"What the customer did using "Get Data" is an unsupported scenario. Here are the details:

If the dataset is in a V1 workspace, reports that live connect to the dataset can only be published to the same V1 workspace (not 'My workspace'). In the case of the customers, the user needs to be added as a member of the V1 workspace in order to publish to that V1 workspace. There seems to be a loophole in the service which allows users to publish to "My workspace" using "Get data". This is an unsupported scenario, users and consumers of the published reports might run into permission issues in other scenarios. We'll look into disable this loophole. Please advise customers to use the recommended workflow below:

The recommend flow is to share the dataset via a V2 workspace. In that case, reports live connect to the dataset can be published any 'My workspace' and other V2 workspaces. In addition, users don't have to be added as member of the V2 workspace, they only need Build permission to the dataset."

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu