Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

slow field search when using common letters like s

I have not an insane amount of fields, maybe 300 or so, and the search box freezes for like 20 seconds when I put in just a single common letter like s or e. seems like this should be really fast for 300 fields?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @wildert,

Do you mean the search box in built-in slicer visual?

Does the issue happen in Power BI desktop or service? 

Which data source does report get data from and which connection mode do you use? 

If the report import data from source, please share pbix file with us if possible. You can upload it to your OneDrive and send the share link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

sphayward
Regular Visitor

This is the field search in Power BI desktop ... it generally is very slow but seems to have got much worse since November update

wildert
Advocate I

Yes the Search Box in Power BI Desktop under the "FIELDS" pane. I commonly deal with list-filtering widgets, this UI should be able to quickly handle thousands of results. It should not be returning results for a single letter search, normally a search box needs 3 characters before returning results. Currently, it seems to hang and chug the CPU at full throttle for minutes if you type a single letter with approx 300 fields to search through.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @wildert@sphayward,

Is it possible to share a pbix file if report gets data in Import mode? If it's possible, you can upload it to your Onedrive and send the share link to me via private message. 

You can also take a look at this article to optimize your model: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

sphayward
Regular Visitor

Hi  Qiuyun Yu  ... please see screenshot we are talking about the field search function circled in Red ... does this help ??  FIELD SEARCH ISSUE.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @sphayward,

Is it possible to share a pbix file if report gets data in Import mode? If it's possible, you can upload it to your Onedrive and send the share link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

weightj
Frequent Visitor

Agree with @sphayward - The field search capability has dramatically slowed down on the last couple releases. It appears that the desktop application has decreased the time in which it initiates the search. Example if I am trying to type "Month", If I type "m" and then delay typing "onth" it begins to search for fields with "m" which takes about 20 seconds or so with the amount of fields in our model to return search results. Not sure what has caused this slow down. To futher understand our orginization context we generally have live connections to SSAS 2017.

wildert
Advocate I

Guys can we get an update on this? I need to be very careful what I type in the FIELDS box because it seems to search on single letters, and it shouldn't, it should wait until maybe 3 letters are entered (standard autocomplete functionality)

weightj
Frequent Visitor

Agree! Please fix! The users in our organization are having a difficult experience with the field search.