Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

refresh failures

Experiencing a metric ton of refresh failures this morning that site intermitent issues. Error message is:
Failure details: The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error. This is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and still see this message, contact support.

I understand transient issues but I am now at 18 failures. Is there a larger issue? Nothing on the support page.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@kcantor 

By the way, planned maintenance for the Power BI service is a necessary part.

kcantor
Community Champion

@v-chuncz-msft 

By the way, I never once mentioned planned maintenance. I know it is a necessary part.  Your reply seems a little condescending for someone who is supposed to be in community support. 

Planned maintenance is absolutely necessary and it would be nice if during planned maintenance if an outage was expected that it be put on the support pages so the users aren't over here venting about lack of service and lack of communication. If you would be so kind as to go back through this thread, planned maintenance was not once mentioned by myself nor by any other community support member.

That being said, are you saying this issue was the result of planned maintenance and that we users could have been informed by posting this information on the support page but Microsoft chose not to provide that information there? If so, can you please explain the logic of not communicating an outage due to planned maitenance?

kcantor
Community Champion

@v-chuncz-msft 

Funny thing, while I was replying to your condescending post, I had some other refresh failures. See the time and date stamp on the below information. 

Can you please provide information on planned maintenance that is occuring today that is causing this particular issue to occur again?

Scheduled3/5/2021, 8:00:26 AM3/5/2021, 8:08:00 AMFailedThe last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error. This is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and still see this message, contact support
LeeFulford03

I am also getting the "something went wrong" owl issue... right when I was implementing PowerBI globally in my organization, which is awful timing as I have lots of people now complaining that its not working. If it's not fixed my users will want to leave PowerBI. Can we have a fix quickly please? Does anyone from Microsoft read these?

hkice
Advocate II

Regarding all the errors that users have been getting - "Something went wrong" or "...the owl thingy ..." is ridiculous.

I have always hated this message and it reminds me of what Curly said in the movie City Slickers - What's the secret of life ... "Its the One thing" ... now for all of us Microsoft product users ... all we have to do is to figure of what that "Something" is !

Have a great day.  Good luck.

dmckinney
Frequent Visitor

My report was created on Power BI Desktop and published for service use.

Support reached out to me and told me a number of things.

1. Remove some data: I did not, since the report was small anyway.

2. Purchase premium for more capacity: I did not. Don't see any need for that.

3. Data gateway is causing the issue: My report states that a gateway is not needed. "You don't need a gateway for this dataset, because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanced control over how you connect."

4. Publish the report to a different workspace: This worked but didn't solve the issue on the original workspace.

My report is working now. What I did while I was awaiting a reply from support was update my windows OS and OneDrive to the latest versions on the device that the report was created on. I am not sure if this is what fixed my report but support told me that they didn't do anything to fix my issue. Support stated that they are looking into what changed to confirm why my report was fixed.

ninosyacoub
Regular Visitor

Hi guys, 

Figured out a way to get more details. We used to get a more meaningful error before, and now all errors are transiet errors. 

To actually find the underlying cause we downloaded the pbix file and tried to refresh it manually. Then the underlying error popped up. 

Hopefully this helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ninosyacoub That's the thing I can refresh my data manually but it fails when I try to refresh published version of report. It was working fine until two or three weeks ago. I tried removing from one space to another etc but nothing helped

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@kcantor 

A similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned.

CRI 231050754

Besides, you may share feedback on this idea to help improve Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey! @kcantor it was pretty delightful seeing you slay here.

I'm experiencing the problem too. What I'm about to post isn't practical but might help someone.

After the refresh error, I thought I could delete report from workspace and republish. I then COULDN'T republish from PBI Desktop. Got error: Couldn't publish to Power BI; An error occurred while attempting to publish...The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

I renamed the pbix file, could publish & refresh without issue.

Just wanted to share. Pls don't slay me!