Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

"Undo" and "Discard Changes" in the Power Query Editor/Transform Data window

I would like to see standard undo functionality in the Power Query Editor, as well as a way to discard changes instead of being forced to apply them.

I was recently working on a lot of modeling and transforming, bouncing between the Power BI Desktop window and the Power Query Editor.  I would hit "Close & Apply" regularly, check my results, do more work on visualizations, then go back and create new queries/transform more data.  I made one change and wiped out a "Rename columns" step for a query that had a lot of column names that I cleaned up.  I hit Crtl-Z and nothing happened.  I tried to discard the changes by just closing the Power Query Editor and was told I had changes that needed applied.  I tried to just save the report but the only options were to apply the changes or apply them later, neither of which were what I wanted.  I just needed to get back the one step to save myself 10 minutes or so of editing column names.  Then I realized I hadn't saved the report overall in several hours because I had been "Close & Apply"'ing and didn't realize that it doesn't save the report when that happens.

Seems like a silly thing to leave out of the Power Query Editor.  It obviously keeps track of the changes because it is telling me I need to apply them.  Frustrating way to start the day.  "Save early.  Save often." still applies in a world of auto-save I guess.

Comments