Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

"Something went wrong" every time I open Power BI, the latest version

I am getting this error every time I open Power BI - according to the "Send More Details" that pops up, the issue could be fixed faster if reported here.  Here are the details: 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2021-04-08T15:12:02.0042709Z

Local Time:
2021-04-08T16:12:02.0042709+01:00

Session ID:
3ac34419-55cc-4392-95ad-7fe7970f6c32

Release:
March 2021

Product Version:
2.91.884.0 (21.03) (x64)

Stack Trace:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException
at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.RibbonCommandSearcher.BuildIndex(RibbonControl[] controls)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.RibbonSearchHostService.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<updateIndex>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.91.884.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.RibbonCommandSearcher","Error":"System.UnauthorizedAccessException","MethodDef":"BuildIndex","ErrorOffset":"42"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528040]

Peak Virtual Memory:
38.1 GB

Private Memory:
500 MB

Peak Working Set:
514 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
297cac8f-85e5-4b26-8812-a7d559ba8eca

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Empty

Model Version:
PowerBI_V1

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_JsonTableInference
PBI_NewWebTableInference
PBI_ImportTextByExample
PBI_ExcelTableInference
PBI_eimInformationProtectionForDesktop

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_narrativeTextBox
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_anomalyDetection
PBI_newFieldList
PBI_cartesianMultiplesAuthoring

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the same issue as yours when I opened the latest version of the Power BI desktop.

First, you should check the minimum requirements to run Power BI Desktop to make sure your computer can support it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-get-the-desktop#minimum-requirements 

Then you can check this document to troubleshoot opening Power BI Desktop:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-error-launching-desktop

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thanks for getting back - the link you posted for minimum requirements is broken, but did double check, that my system meets the minimum requirements.  I should note that I can continue to use Power BI once I clear the error, it runs somewhat as expected, other than the error popping up every now and again when I am running it.  

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I think you can follow the suggestions of the troubleshooting document to completely delete the desktop client and download it again on your computer.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin