Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

"Select all" behavior on a slicer while visual level filter is applied

Select all ignores visual level filtering and user do not see all the values which have been selected. 

Same issue reported here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Select-All-doesn-t-work-when-filtering-a-slicer/td-p/721351

Instructions on reproducing the problem: 

1. Sample data 

NameValue
John1
Mary2
Emma3
Luke4

2. Take name and value into a separate table.

3. Add a new slicer on the page, insert Name into it. 

4. Add a visual level filter into the slicer, so that only Luke and Mary are shown in the slicer. 
5. Add a Select all option into the slicer. 

6. Now, use select all to select all items in the slicer. Then take Mary off from the selected items in the slicer so that select all indicates that multiple selections are made and Luke is the only name selected in the slicer. 
7. See the separate table you created. Despite it looks like in the slicer that only Luke is selected, you can see Emma, John and Luke in your table. Now, take name off from this separate table. After this it seems that Luke has value 8, instead of 4 which is the actual truth according to the data. 

I hope this demonstrates how dangerous this is for a regular user. Is there already a solution for this? I could not find any. 

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@pbi_developer ,

Thank you for the steps. I followed the steps but the value seems normal on my side. See snapshot below, Luke has a value 4 correctly. My version is 2.81.5831.821 64-bit (May 2020).

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

pbi_developer
Advocate I

Thank you for your effort, it seems you do have the same issue. 1 + 3 + 4 = 8, when you set automatic summarization for Value. 

So 1 and 3 are values for John and Emma, not for Luke. The slicer has the two other names secretly selected, though user thinks he/she has only selected Luke. 

pbi_developer
Advocate I

@v-yuta-msftPlease check this, it's a quite a painful issue 

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@pbi_developer ,

Sorry for late. It seems this issue has been raised by other user last year, see the first reply of this idea. I will report this issue as a bug to product team. Will update here when I got any response.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@pbi_developer ,

PG has replied as below:

"This is as designed. Select all doesn't mean that we select everything in slicer. It means that selected items become unselected. In this case filter will be Name is not Mary. Which means all the other values will be visible."

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

pbi_developer
Advocate I

Ok, thank you. 

From user's point of view this is quite bad design, because you cannot see what you have selected from the slicer if the visual level filtering is applied. This makes the combination unusable.