Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

"Current session is no longer valid due to structural changes in the database" error

Dear Microsoft,

The error message "Current session is no longer valid due to structural changes in the database" is raised in case a client connection (PowerBI, Excel) is using a so-called perspective instead of the default "Model" and a "Full Process" of a tabular table/partition is in progress. We are using 'SQL Server 2017 CU12' .

Do you know whether this issue is fixed in SQL Server 2017 CU13?

If not, do you need some other information to get this issue fixed in another CU?

I think this bug/error is simular as the issue as mentioned in topic https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Error-Current-session-is-no-longer-valid-due-to-struc...

The company doesn't want to downgrade to 'SQL Server 2017 CU3'; in this version/CU the error isn't raised according to previous mentioned topic. 

BR Frank van Zuilen

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I didn't receive the ETA information now. Will update to you once I get. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

I got information that "This is filed as a Feature instead of a Bug to reflect the fact that it's a larger work item that needs to be prioritized relative to other features, planned, and staffed. As of now, we are not planning to work on this in the next 6 months."

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft I know you're just the messenger, but:

Wow! So Microsoft doesn't support the concept of delivering 'BI-self-service' anymore?

Tabular Model Perspectives are widely used to supply dedicated and understandable views to the end-users; not all end-users are capable to work with the overall 'Model'.

FYI:

I've to escalate this internally.

The customer is a 2 MEUR+ international operating company with 200-300 PowerBI/Excel users; and is currently re-investigating its BI architecture for the next 5 years. I am wondering what would be the impact on the company's process/outcome if Microsoft is not capable of fixing (or wanting to fix) this issue.

What are now the suggestions from Microsoft's side to deliver a workable 'BI-self-service' approach?

muchinski
Resolver II

This bug was solved for SQL Server 2016 on 2018-11-13 (Cumulative Update 4 for SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 2), but so far no update for SQL 2017.

FIX: Errors when changing filters in Excel or PBI reports after model is updated in SSAS

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4465476/fix-errors-changing-filters-in-excel-or-pbi-reports

@v-qiuyu-msft , I really can't understand why this was considered a "feature". Could you please correlate this problem with the hotfix I've just mentioned?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @muchinski; thank you for giving us this insight.

@ballanda : Maybe you should wait on @v-qiuyu-msft answer on behalf of Microsoft before downgrading to SQL 2017 CU3.

Like I said in the previous thread; I am working for a 2.000+ MEUR company that is currently re-thinking it's BI architecture. If MS can't/won't solve this issue in a short term notice it will be a big Minus on the scorecard.  

ballanda
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous Rolling back to CU #3 worked fine.  It wasn't too painful, except for having to reboot my server 9 times and removing all uses of the "IsAvailableInMDX" property that is not available before CU7.

No more blindly trusting SQL Server CUs for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ballanda, @v-qiuyu-msft and @muchinski,

After the upgrade to SQL Server 2017 CU14, Excel, and most likely PowerBI, raises a more user friendly message in casa table/attribute is in scope while full processing the related table(s):

"Excel was unable to get necessary information about this cube. The cube might have been reorganized or changed on the server. ."