Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

"Current session is no longer valid due to structural changes in the database" error

Dear Microsoft,

The error message "Current session is no longer valid due to structural changes in the database" is raised in case a client connection (PowerBI, Excel) is using a so-called perspective instead of the default "Model" and a "Full Process" of a tabular table/partition is in progress. We are using 'SQL Server 2017 CU12' .

Do you know whether this issue is fixed in SQL Server 2017 CU13?

If not, do you need some other information to get this issue fixed in another CU?

I think this bug/error is simular as the issue as mentioned in topic https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Error-Current-session-is-no-longer-valid-due-to-struc...

The company doesn't want to downgrade to 'SQL Server 2017 CU3'; in this version/CU the error isn't raised according to previous mentioned topic. 

BR Frank van Zuilen

Comments
ballanda
Frequent Visitor

Sample Files and Steps to Reproduce the Error

I have prepared 3 objects to help Microsoft reproduce this issue.

<<PM me for download link and instructions>>

File 1) Excel Sheet: "SampleData.xlsx"
- Contains 3 worksheets of small test data that is used for the tabular model source.

File 2) Tabular Model: "SampleTabularModel.abf"
- Contains 3 tables from Excel sample data and 2 perspectives (both of which contain 2 of the 3 tables).
File 3) Power BI: "SampleTabularPBIReport.pbix"
- Contains test visualizations based on the tabular model

I also confirmed that this only happens when connected to a specific perspective. When connected to "model" (i.e. the whole model), the error doesn't happen. For me, with 14 perspectives in my model, and model processing happening every 30 minutes, this is a big inconvenience for my analysts working in Excel and Power BI Desktop. A fix would be great. Please let me know if you have questions on the example, or need any more info from me.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to hear that you were able to reproduce the issue as well @ballanda.

Hopefully @v-qiuyu-msft can reproduce the issue now as MS couldn't reproduce the issue using my example set.

This will save me some time to construct a PowerBI based example.

Using Excel you'll face the same kind of issues while having an open connnection based on a perspective and the tabular model is in "full process", and changing the filtering and/or adding new attributes in the row or columns.

I agree with you that this issue should be fixed asap, because it's stopping/delaying the BI-self-service roll-out within our company, and yours as well I assume?

I don't think it's a PowerBI related issue but a SSAS/Tabular model related issue due that is occuring in Excel as well.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ballanda,

I will send my work email to you via private message. Please send related files and detail steps to reproduce the issue to me. 

Thanks @Anonymous@ballanda for helping us to reproduce the issue. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous@ballanda,

Thank you for all your detail information. I can reproduce the issue on my side. 

I have consulted this issue internally, will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Good to know that the issue could be reproduced at Microsoft's side.

I am anxious to know when this issue will be fixed in SQL Server 2017 SSAS/Tabular Model Services.

So that the BI-self-service can be further roll-out in our company.

Thank you in advance,

Frank van Zuilen 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 101133965. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I got information below: 

This error is being thrown by AS and the client should be handling it. I've created a scenario to track this work, but right now there's no ETA for when it will be completed.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft 

Thank you for your feedback.

I hope that MS is able to fix this issue asap because it's hindering the roll-out of BI-self service for any company. Please keep us posted about the possible ETA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft any news on an ETA regarding fixing this issue?

Have you heard anything @ballanda