cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Column does not exist in the rowset" fix for PowerBI Service

I am posting this as an idea, because after researching on posts, I didn't find a generic solution.

I have this issue of the web app breaking on refresh, when changing a column_name, or deleting it using a view. I am perfectly able to refresh on Desktop and get the updated column name, or a deleted column is dropped just fine. The table on power bi is created by the use of a "select * from ..." query. I am using a native query as I need to use parameters and work with incremental refresh. Also I need to point out that the column which changes might not be referenced anywhere. 

The problem this creates personally, is that I have to open each time the dataset, refresh manually on Desktop and reupload. I have quite a few datasets to handle, and the columns change dynamically and fast, so I can't keep up.

To reproduce:

1. Create a view/materialized view on a Postgres database.

2. Load the view/materialized view on Power BI Desktop using "select * from view".

3. Upload to a Workspace.

4. Rename any column of view/materialized_view.

5. By using a gateway, refresh the web app or wait for the scheduled refresh to fire.

*. Other details: native query, pro user, parameters used to make a connection and limit.

Thanks in advance

@ioanik_maya 

Hi, @ioanik_maya 

I wonder if the m codes in Power Query have reference to the modified columns. If so, the query fails and the refresh breaks. 

Best Regards

Allan

Comments
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: New

Hi, @ioanik_maya 

I wonder if the m codes in Power Query have reference to the modified columns. If so, the query fails and the refresh breaks. 

Best Regards

Allan