Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

"Column does not exist in the rowset" fix for PowerBI Service

I am posting this as an idea, because after researching on posts, I didn't find a generic solution.

I have this issue of the web app breaking on refresh, when changing a column_name, or deleting it using a view. I am perfectly able to refresh on Desktop and get the updated column name, or a deleted column is dropped just fine. The table on power bi is created by the use of a "select * from ..." query. I am using a native query as I need to use parameters and work with incremental refresh. Also I need to point out that the column which changes might not be referenced anywhere. 

The problem this creates personally, is that I have to open each time the dataset, refresh manually on Desktop and reupload. I have quite a few datasets to handle, and the columns change dynamically and fast, so I can't keep up.

To reproduce:

1. Create a view/materialized view on a Postgres database.

2. Load the view/materialized view on Power BI Desktop using "select * from view".

3. Upload to a Workspace.

4. Rename any column of view/materialized_view.

5. By using a gateway, refresh the web app or wait for the scheduled refresh to fire.

*. Other details: native query, pro user, parameters used to make a connection and limit.

Thanks in advance

@ioanik_maya 

Hi, @ioanik_maya 

I wonder if the m codes in Power Query have reference to the modified columns. If so, the query fails and the refresh breaks. 

Best Regards

Allan

Comments
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: New

Hi, @ioanik_maya 

I wonder if the m codes in Power Query have reference to the modified columns. If so, the query fails and the refresh breaks. 

Best Regards

Allan