Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

"An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Data.S

Installed PowerBI desktop (x64) (clean install) last week (didn't note the version installed) and played around with local data file sources, all ok. 

Today I attempted to connect to a SQL database on Azure VM and received the following message; 

Details: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SNINativeMethodWrapper' threw an exception.'"

Upgraded to the latest version Version: 2.87.923.0 64-bit (November 2020) as a previous post suggested that this may fix the fault.

Retried the connection, same result.

Perused the various documents in C:\Users\#username#\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop, traces,snapshots,performance traces, can't see anything obvious.  I can't find a stack trace, although I have seen similar reports in Github earlier this year.

Can't find SNI.dll on my machine, do I have to install Microsoft.Data.SqlClient Nuget package?

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @Anonymous 

Please refer to this same post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PowerBI/comments/jwctaa/powerbi_error_the_type_initializer_for/

I have found that if you're using the Microsoft Store Power BI Desktop App it's causing those errors. By using the Microsoft manual download one it's not throwing those errors

Regards,

Lin

satindenave
Frequent Visitor

An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Invalid operation. The connection is closed.

can anyone help me with this error