Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

"(605, 35)-(605, 36) Token comma expected" when creating a new query

I upgraded to the latest version of Power BI Desktop. This is the installer version:

PowerBIUpgradedVersion.PNG

This failed to start because, like others, I was caught out by Power BI Desktop no longer been supported on Windows 7. Aside: it would be nice if the installer recognised the fact and failed to proceed, and if Windows 7 was removed from the system requirements on the download page; these are the system requirements as shown today:

dennismr_0-1617803007969.png

Anyhow, I uninstalled this version and reverted to:

PowerBIBrokenVersion.PNG

Now I get the following error when I try to create a new query (including a blank query) or view data source settings:

PowerBISomethingWentWrong.PNG

Speculate that the uninstall of the latest version wasn't clean and is preventing the earlier version working.

Currently my Power BI desktop is effectively bricked. Moving to Windows 10 isn't an option at this time. Any help anyone could give re. fixing this issue would be really appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

First, 

Important

Since January 31st 2021, Power BI Desktop is no longer supported on Windows 7.

Then you could completely uninstall / remove power bi desktop by following this guide:

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-completely-uninstall-remove-a-software-program-in-windows-without-using...

Regards,

Lin

dennismr

Thanks for the reply Lin.

I did finally manage to resolve this by:

1. Uninstalling Power BI Desktop from the Control Panel.
  2. Permanently deleting the folder C:\Users\MYUSER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop [where MYUSER is my username]. This had over 200MB of files in it.
  3. Re-installing the September 2019 version of Power BI Desktop.

Figured I'd share with the community in case anyone else hits this.