Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

publishing Power BI Dataset = Old data?

Hello

I posted this in the issue forum, although it's debatable whether it should be posted in the common forum. It's a rather simple question that I fear me and my team has misunderstood, or it is a potential Power BI issue.

Let's say I have a dataset published that is scheduled to refresh every day in the morning. (so latest refresh date is 29-06-2022 at 7'o clock.)

I want to create a new measure, so I create a measure in the dataset desktop file and I publish it.

Now, here is the issue. I haven't updated my data in the desktop file for about a month, because it updates in the service every day. When publishing the dataset the dataset starts a refresh, as always. However, between the time of publishing and finishing the refresh in the service, the data is different than 7'o clock, it looks to be same as the one month old data in the desktop file.

Did we misunderstand such a fundamental part of publish Power BI datasets, or is this an issue?

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is by design.
republish is to overwrite the data and report metadata, so your newly published dataset is not refreshed, so naturally what you see is the old data brought by repulish's report.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is by design.
republish is to overwrite the data and report metadata, so your newly published dataset is not refreshed, so naturally what you see is the old data brought by repulish's report.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for answering.

So you are saying that in this scenario, the published report would show 1 month old data instead of the data that was updated in the morning?

So there is 2 different data update stamps.

1 - the one month old data in the .pbix desktop file
2 - the data that updated in the morning via schedule refresh

You are saying that it is by design that after publishing a dataset (which then refreshes automatically), the data shown in the published reports is the one month old data, instead of the data that updated in the morning?

I was under the impression that the data shown in the report would be the data from this morning, and then when refreshed the data would change to the newer data.

Br. Emil

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xiaoyan-msft I can agree that this is delivered once your answer is the same after reading my question above.