Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

how to manage different refresh schedules,

HI There,

using pro:

i query 3+ different data sources, which all need to have different refresh schedules.

all this data should be available through one dataset, for report builders.

I initially thought i could solve this with a ETL data flow, but alas (happy to learn, please tell me if i am wrong!):

• there's no proper way to connect to Business Central
  • there's no proper way to connect to a postgres DB without a "gateway"

how can i achieve this:

different refresh times --> minimum refresh time --> live connection:

source1.pbix -->

source2.pbix --> dataset+model.pbix --> reports.pbix

source3.pbix -->

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

power bi data refresh is based on power bi dataset, it couldn't be based on data source.

you could set different schedule for one dataset, and when refresh the dataset, it will refresh all the datasource in it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

all this data should be available through one dataset, for report builders.

I don't suggest you put all the datasource into one dataset, that will lead to a very large dataset.

Regards,

Lin

benovic
Frequent Visitor

Hi Lin, thanks for your comment!

i found a reasonable way to connect Business central to a data flow, alas it's way more effort than on PBI Desktop. (per table: single odata source with per table credentials)

> power bi data refresh is based on power bi dataset, it couldn't be based on data source.

really? so if i refresh a dataset that consumes different data flows (for example: A:refreshed Daily, B:refreshed hourly, the refresh of the flows is always done when i refresh the dataset (hourly)? (--> A is then refreshed hourly?) that's terrible!

i thought it might be resonable to refresh some sources (data flows) e.g. once daily, and others once an hour. The report itself is then refreshed once an hour (the minimum freq data flow).

> I don't suggest you put all the datasource into one dataset, that will lead to a very large dataset.
i want to pull certain "output" tables into the dataset, not all the source 🙂