Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

grand totals not adding up on new quick measure (sales from new customers)

In the October release of PBI desktop a new quick measure was added to calculate sales from new customers (which is very useful). However the totals on the rows and/or columns do not add up. I've had a look at the generated DAX but it's a bit beyond my skill level. Anyone had the same issue?sales from new customers.JPG

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@jlilleystone

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 49241075
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@jlilleystone

I've got response from the Product Team.

The behavior of this quick measure at the total level is by design.

This quick measure defines old customers as customers which have made any purchase any time prior to the *beginning* of the current date period in the current filter context.

This behavior allows the following kind of scenarios to work: If you group at the month level, old customers are customers which made purchases any time before the beginning of the current month. In other words, customers who made purchases in any previous month are not considered new customers for that month, regardless of when they made the purchase in that month.

At the total level, there is no filtering on the date, and hence the current period includes all the dates in the database. Since no customer made purchases prior to that (by definition), all customers are new at the total level.

Note that, as is true in general for non(-fully) additive measure, one cannot expect the totals to be simply the sum of all the values in the matrix above.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered