Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

filled map rendering problem

Hi,

There seems to be a rendering problem in the filled map.

The problem happens when a boundary of an area has another area in it that has to be excluded.

I have a problem with that for a few postcodes in Belgium.

Using the Bing SDK to get the boundaries for postcode '9450, Belgium', the result is as follows (as it should be):

image.png

however, in the filled map in Power BI, the area is rendered as:

image.png

The inner (darker) area should not be filled while the filled map visual fills it 'twice' (it seems that Power BI first fills the 'outer' area completely and then once again fills the 'inner' area.

Is this a known 'issue' with the Filled Map and will it soon be solved ?

Regards,

Dries

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Bitwize_PowerBI

Which columns do you put into the Filled Map field?

And from the second screenshot, it seems that the colored area is not just Denderhoutem but also has some others.

I can only see following area is colored for Denderhoutem on my side.

filled map rendering problem_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Bitwize_PowerBI
Advocate IV

Hi Herbert,

Thank you for already looking in to this.

I understand you need some more information.  I'll try to provide you this info.

The screenshot below (now with used fields) is for selection of 1 postcode only:

Capture1.PNG

location: 'postcode plaatsnaam_nl': data category = postal code.  The content is exactly what you see in the slicer.  Because this string doesn't contain the country, I also give Bing the longitude and lattitude

Capture2_1.PNGCapture2_2.PNG

If I hover over the 'outer' area or over the 'inner' area, you can clearly see that the tooltip content is the same.

Below you can find a different approach, with the same result:

Capture3.PNG

no need for lattitude or longitude here

you can clearly see that this gives me the same result.

The 'inner' area is in fact another postal code, being '9451 Kerksken'.

Capture4.PNG

If I select both postal codes, the visual result is the same, but now you can clearly see postcode '9451' when hovering over '9451 Kerksken'.

For completeness, a screenshot of '9451 Kerksken' only:

Capture5.PNG

I really think this is a rendering problem.  I recently read that the Power BI 'filled map' visual does not yet use the latest Bing API, but that this is coming soon.

Regards,

Dries

Bitwize_PowerBI
Advocate IV

Other examples:

• 4340, Belgium
  • 3740, Belgium
  • 6706, Belgium

all of these have one or more 'inner' polygons that do not belong to postal code while the Power BI 'filled map' visual 'colors' these 'inner' polygons twice.

regards,

Dries