Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

error "unable to get property 'value' of undefined or null reference" when linking text fields

I am creating a new copy of a report with a text column that is a combination of two fields (in my case text account ID, a pipe delimiter, and the month year in yyyy-mm format) to allow joining the two tables on two fields simultaniously.

when dragging one accountMonthYear column onto the other I got the error message: unable to get property 'value' of undefined or null reference.  The first table showed rows of data, but the second, larger table was empty.

I found a workaround by dragging account number from one table to the other, the link dialog shows properly with both tables filled in.  I then changed the selected columns to the ones I wanted to join on and it worked properly.

bad join.jpgjoin on account and change the value.jpg

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

From your description, it seems you are get data in DirectQuery mode, in Power BI desktop, you have created the same calculated column AccountMonthYear in these two tables 'MasterAccountList' and 'sysdba OPPORTUNITY', when you create a relationship based on AccountMonthYear column, error occurs, right? 

I have tested in the latest Power BI desktop version 2.64.5285.701 but not reproduce the issue. Please update your Power BI desktop to this new version then test it again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

rahulshevde
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

Can you please try with the november version of the power bi desktop and see if you still run into this issue? I think this issue was fixed in the November release. 

Thank You

Rahul Shevde 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using the windows store version of power bi desktop.  I opened windows store this morning and saw a new update as of yesterday to 2.64.5285.701 64-bit (november 2018).  It still displays the same behavior on the same data column.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Are you able to switch your connection mode from "DirectQuery" to "Import". With Import mode, are you still able to repro the same issue? If yes, could you please help share the .PBIX file to me? We will help look into your issue.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to switch to Import mode and found something unexpected.  The link is created when dragging the field from one table to the other, but if you open the link to view it, you see the same error.

If I delete a lot of columns from the source table (I was trying to shrink the pbix file) the error eventually goes away.  I noticed in particular if I deleted the notes column (and a couple of others) the error stopped occurring, or if I just delete more of the other columns but left notes, the error went away.  Maybe its a record size issue?

how do I send the file to you?

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

You can send the .PBIX file to haibin.liu@microsoft.com

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I have emailed you a dropbox link to the file (its about 59 meg).  

stefffel
Regular Visitor

Hi everybody. I'm getting the same error (since about one week). The issue is related to one table for which 6 out of 10 relations not working any more.

I'll now check with the support if we can update the PBI desktop with the latest version.

Regards

Steffen

jude_moore
Helper II

Hi Guys

Were also expereincing this error too on the April 2019 64-bit edition of Power BI Desktop. ANy clues yet ?

Thanks

Jude

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think what I ended up doing was limiting the data i had in that table and i was able to work around the problem.  I never got a response back from the power bi team that I recall.  Plus the queries changed drastically and the marketing department decided they wanted results in excel instead, so i never pursued it.