Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

debug.log file keeps coming back, same error, how do I stop it?

This has been going on for a while now. It seems every time I use Power BI desktop I get a debug.log file in the same directory as the PBIX file being used. After opening a PBIX the debug.log will be updated and will have this message timestamped:

ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)

How do I find the culprit for the error, fix the error, and ensure it doesn't happen again?

I am using Power BI desktop (download, not MS store) version: 2.93.981.0 64-bit (May 2021)

Elsewhere it's been suggested to make sure no pending updates in Windows (not sure why). I've confirmed I am fully up to date, however my organization restricts some Windows updates. Is there a Windows update that Power BI is relying on here?

I removed all paths from global permissions, changed any file paths I could find in settings so they are local to PC (no OneDrive, etc. paths). Is there a specific file path PBI uses routinely that may no longer be available on my PC I can check or recreate?

Here's the text of one I haven't deleted like I do most of them. You can see this has been going on for several months.

[0419/150020.173:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0422/122155.844:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0422/132154.830:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
>Removed entries in between for brevity<
[0610/145127.585:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0610/155541.827:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)

[0623/082249.881:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@spiritofme 

A similar issue has been reported internally. You may check it again in August 2021 release.

CRI 242772787

spiritofme
Advocate II

@v-chuncz-msft 

Thank you for the reply. I eagerly await the fix.

Happy it's known about but disappointed it's going to take so long to resolve.