Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

correct date formatting for PowerBI online

Hi,

I'm using PowerBI 'online' (i.e. browser only) and finding that dates are always formatted as mm/dd/yy - for us European users, it would be great for it to support dd/mm/yy!

Hi @nealmcquaid ,

Please correct me if I misunderstood your meaning.
Power BI users often use different browsers to connect to the Power BI service, such as Edge, Chrome, or Internet Explorer.
Problems arise when the default date format on these browsers differs from the format required by the user, resulting in some challenges in understanding the date.
To meet your needs, you will need to set the browser language to English (UK) and change the language to the browser default language in the language settings of the Power BI service.
(British English and American English are indistinguishable in Power BI Service)

vcaitlynmstf_1-1651025568379.png

vcaitlynmstf_2-1651025576463.png

Articles for your reference: How to Manage Date Formats in the Power BI Service

Also,You can set this up in Power BI Desktop when you create the report

vcaitlynmstf_0-1651025529408.png

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @nealmcquaid ,

Please correct me if I misunderstood your meaning.
Power BI users often use different browsers to connect to the Power BI service, such as Edge, Chrome, or Internet Explorer.
Problems arise when the default date format on these browsers differs from the format required by the user, resulting in some challenges in understanding the date.
To meet your needs, you will need to set the browser language to English (UK) and change the language to the browser default language in the language settings of the Power BI service.
(British English and American English are indistinguishable in Power BI Service)

vcaitlynmstf_1-1651025568379.png

vcaitlynmstf_2-1651025576463.png

Articles for your reference: How to Manage Date Formats in the Power BI Service

Also,You can set this up in Power BI Desktop when you create the report

vcaitlynmstf_0-1651025529408.png

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

nealmcquaid

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and that appears to be the fix. Not obvious, but the fix at least!

Thanks,
Neal