Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

broken gateway installer

I try to install on premise gateway on new windows 10 pro , i run installer  downloaded from powerbi.microsoft.com and get errors:

yellow window with missing certificate for this exe and then window with error: Application pop-up GatewayInstall.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

this error doesnt even shows on windows 10 , there is only event in EventViewer->System. It shows only if I run installer in win8 compatiblity mode.

I could attach screens but don't know to this here

Comments
pisarz

Installer GatewayInstall.exe from September is bigger by 20MB from August installer too

christianb_7
Regular Visitor

I just got the same error message running install on win server 2016 data centre edition.  Only message in the error log was the same as above.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

Please find gateway logs and event log for gateway follow this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#tools-for-troubleshooting, and upload them to your OneDrive, share the link with me via private message.  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

soilleir
Frequent Visitor

I have exactly the same problem.  I have been trying to install the gateway since Thursday with no success.  

I have tried from my own W10 pro machine, a W7 Pro machine, a W10 Pro Vm in Azure and a Server 2016 VM in Azure.  I have downloaded the installer several times and get the same result no matter where I try it from. Same message every time 

Application pop-up GatewayInstall.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

It is really holding back a project I am working on so I would really appreciate an update/solution.

Thanks in advance.

soilleir
Frequent Visitor

I forgot to add that the installer works fine when installing in Personal Mode but i need to use the non-personal mode and it wont install

gtek
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem, and for some reason the data stopped syncing on the old version, so now I'm stuck and cannot complete some client work.

**EDIT**

After uninstalling data gateway, installing all windows updates (including optional preview rollups), I could install the gateway from scratch. A nail-biting couple of hours though.

The install didn't seem to work until I applied the following updates:

2018-09 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4457133)

2018-09 Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 for x64 (KB4458613)

I am running Server 2012 R2

pisarz

Looks like somebody hurry up with new version 😞

sibodg

I am also experiencing the same issue. 

The error reported above is identical - installing the latest download direct from the PowerBI website.

I have tried installing on 2 Windows Server 2016 Datacenter servers. THe installer quits - with an entry in the Event Log.

Patching is up to September 2016 releaed patches.

One server is a freshly built server, with no AV.

THis clearly is a widespread issue, I'm surprised MS have not corrected this so far.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

I see many users report the issue when installing the gateway. As I'm not able to reproduce this issue on my side, I would like to collect detail information then report it internally to PG team. 

1. Which link/Where do you download the gateway? 

2. Does the issue occur when you install the personal mode gateway or on-premises data gateway? It would be better to see the issue if you could record a video. 

3. Please share your OS version. 

4. Please collect install log files with us. You can upload them to your OneDrive or Dropbox and send the link to me visa private message. 

For personal mode: 

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\On-premises_data_gateway_(personal_mode)_*.log.

For on-premise data gateway: 

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\On-premises_data_gateway_*.log

When the error occurs, there should be a button in UI for you to see log files as well. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 86438995. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu