Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

azure cost management connector

Azure Cost Management connector for Power BI (data not matching Azure Portal). 

Have 2 applications where the cost is 101 and 243 less than on the Azure portal (cost analysis - Accumulated costs).

Also noticed that Marketplace cost is 9711 for one subscription, whereas for other 2 subscriptions it is 287 and 57, so the subscription cost (total) with Marketplace cost of 9711 does not match Azure portal (cost analysis - Accumulated costs).

Month used for test is Sept 2021. 

Hi @Anonymous 

To narrow down the issue, I need to confirm several questions with you. 

1 Is your issue happening in two apps you created from workspaces on Power BI service?

2 The point of the problem is that the data in the app is different from the billing data displayed on Azure portal, right?

3 Will you get same issue in the original report?

4 If refresh the report dataset, will data sync with Azure portal?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun Zheng

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @Anonymous 

To narrow down the issue, I need to confirm several questions with you. 

1 Is your issue happening in two apps you created from workspaces on Power BI service?

2 The point of the problem is that the data in the app is different from the billing data displayed on Azure portal, right?

3 Will you get same issue in the original report?

4 If refresh the report dataset, will data sync with Azure portal?

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable
  1. Is your issue happening in two apps you created from workspaces on Power BI service?

It’s used by the client and employees of Dimension Data. One Dashboard/report is used for Billing Info, the other for Governance.

1. The point of the problem is that the data in the app is different from the billing data displayed on Azure portal, right?

Yes, for some Applications the cost in Azure Portal: Cost Management + Billing (Cost Analysis) is different than in the Power BI dashboard/report, due to Application tags being blank.

Azure Cost Management connector for Power BI, Expand / Extract / Split Out Tags.

When extracting the ( application : ……… ) field from Tags column to get Application column,

the Application column is populated correctly for about 95% of the records.

The other 5% contain some badly populated tags which obviously will end up blank (they only have createdon date field), and some properly populated tags which also end up blank.

Not sure if they were blank initially, and after refresh the Tags column is now populated, but the Application column still blank or if there is a slight difference in the Tags for those few columns, or if my splitting of tags method is incorrect). 

Guess the quickest way to resolve issue is to verify with Microsoft if the method I use for extracting Tags is correct.

If the method I use for extracting Tags is incorrect, then apply correct method from Microsoft, and verify afterwards if problem resolved.

If the method I use for extracting Tags is correct, then assume tagging issue by IT Admin guys or client.

Below is the method I use to Expand / Extract / Split Out the Tags

Tag method.PNG

1. Will you get same issue in the original report?

Yes, I do.

1. If refresh the report dataset, will data sync with Azure portal?

Yes, the Power BI dashboard/report gets its data via the Azure Cost Management connector for Power BI.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

For its hard to repro your issue at my side, please check with this document Connect to Azure Cost Management data in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs to see whether Power BI can get data under all categories same as Azure portal.

Best Regards,

goodman

I also have this issue. The data reported in the supplied Azure Cost Management App summary pages is incorrect.