Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

"Found an existing gateway" when no data gateways exist

​I had set up a gateway a month ago but could not remember for certain if it was a standard or personal gateway.  I logged into the Power BI service and since I could not determine which it was I removed it.  Thus, when I go to manage my gateways I see "You don't have any data gateways."

Then I removed the gateway software from my computer and then reinstalled it using the personal mode option.

However, After installation (but before registration) it says "Found an existing gateway".  I clicked continue to take over the existing gateway but when I log into the Power BI service I still see that I don't have any data gateways.

How can this be?
If I can't see the personal gateway then how can I manage it?

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@MCaronna,

Could you please post a screenshot about "Found an existing gateway" and describe more details about how you take over the gateway during the installation process?

If  you successfully install personal mode gateway using the option as below, you can directly go to Settings->datasets in Power BI Service and find your dataset, directly choose personal mode gateway under gateway connection. It is not possible to see the personal gateway under Manage gateway in Power BI Service. Only after you install on-premises gateway and configure it, you are able to see the configured gateway under Manage gateway in Power BI Service.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

MCaronna
Regular Visitor

Personal Gateway msg.png

Above is a screenshot of the unexpected message.

When I follow your instructions to see my personal gateway on the Power BI Service I do not see it.  All I see is my standard gateway (which I am also having issues with).  I know the gateway is standard based on the name I gave it.  Therefore, it sounds like my personal gateway was not set up correclty (yet if I try again I will have to take over the unsucessful personal gateway).OnlyStandGatewayListed.JPG

The fact that my credentials on the standard gateway are invalid is another issue.  We have single signon so inside our work network I do not need to enter a SharePoint ID and password.  When I manually get data from SharePoint using the Power BI Desktop App I am able to select "Windows" and then "Use my current credentials".  That option does not exist for the standard gateway.  I have tried different formats of my username (with and without our domain name) with no success.
I have saved these last comments should I need to create a separate issue.

MCaronna
Regular Visitor

Oh, I just found a personal gateway (to a slightly different SharePoint address) on a different datasetPersonalandStandGatewayListed.JPG

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@MCaronna,

For your first dataset, it seems that your data source is SharePoint Online, gateway is not required in this case. Directly enter credential under Data Source Credentials.

For your second dataset, you combine SharePoint Online Data source and excel files, it is possible to use personal mode gateway in this case.

Regards,
Lydia

MCaronna
Regular Visitor

For the 1st dataset if I don't use a gateway how do I schedule the refresh?  The goal here is to keep the reports up-to-date, even if I am out of the office.  This particular report will be referenced 24/7.

ChangeGatewayCred.JPGChangeGatewayCredError.JPG
When I try to change the credentials in either dataset the pop-up defaults to Anonymous for the Authentication method which I never use.  Just in case I tried Anonymous and it does not work.  When I change the method to Windows it says, "For Windows authentication, you don't need to provide your Windows credentials."  However, when I click Sign it I get the error on the last picture above.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@MCaronna,

Do you use SharePoint Online data source in the first dataset? If so, in PBIX file, please use Microsoft Account authentication instead of Windows Account authentication. 

Then in Power BI Service, under data source credentials, choose OAuth2 authentication and then sign in. This way, you are able to set schedule refresh for this dataset without gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

MCaronna
Regular Visitor

Lydia,

We do use SharePoint for the first dataset but I am not sure what version.  We will be upgrading to Office365 soon.  When I went into the desktop application and changed my credentials to "Microsoft account" I got the following message below.

I removed my credentials from the desktop application and then on the Power BI Service I was able to enter my credentials and refresh the data.

Then I removed my credentials again from the desktop application (it seems to be the only way I can change the credentials in the BI Service.)  However, after saving and publishing the desktop application this time I still cannot change the credentials in the Power BI Service.  I will try again tomorrow.

I love the idea if I can schedule the refresh without the gateway!

ChangeGatewayCredError2.JPGThis is what I now see in the PowerBI Service:

ChangeGatewayCredError3.JPG

MCaronna
Regular Visitor

Lydia,

I tried again today.  In the Power BI Service I do not have the option of selecting "OAuth2 authentication ".  I only have Windows and Anonymous options.  Is this b\c I cannot select Microsoft Account authentication in the desktop application?  How can we resolve the issue in my previous post when I try to select Microsoft Account authentication?